48 - Jeet

The sun blared upon them, it's rays washing the landscape in a brightness which highlighted every crevice and sin. The temperature was pleasantly mild compared to the secrets which were about to come to the light.

Leisurley the breeze meandered through the flat landscape, amongst the seated spectators, carrying the whispers far and wide. Their uttering ranged from lofty praises to rancid insults, in response to the trial that was awaiting to be conducted- a line of labourers stood behind, waiting their call.

''65 lakhs,'' punctuated the air, causing everyone to fall silent. All that remained was some distant dogs barking, or some crisp autumn leaves which whistled as they fell. It swayed left to right, before ending up on the plush sofa next to Murtasim - He sat with one leg folded widely upon the other, his elbow bent outwards as it rest on his knee, to further the imposing stance. (6,500,000PKR)

Amir, Rohail's father sat to his right, and Anas to the left. Their faces displayed stoic eyes, knowing their sole role was to back Murtasim in gaining a fair outcome, in maintaining their high status.

''Humara paisa humein waapis diya jaye. Humein woh 85 Lakh wapis lene ka haq hai,'' Mir informed in a façade of politeness. His voice calculated, each vowel calm and confident. (Our money should be returned to us. We have a right over those 8,500,000)

For the first time in adulthood, his two brothers sat besides him on the Malik's bench. His father Malik Mukhtar was also present, and by the nonchalance in his demeanour, Murtasim figured that they had not a inkling of a clue of Saba's secret nikkah.

''Khan ko uske bande ka karz lautaney mein koyi ehataraz nahi hai. We look after our own people,'' Amir replied, clearly speaking to the audience. Their attention captured and locked, their reverence heightened. (Khan has no issue with returning the money.)

''To panchayat kyu bulayi gyi hai?'' Mir scoffed, cutting him off. The crisp white of his shalwar kameez was unfitting- it was unblemished and pure. There was a glint of revenge in the murky brown of his hawk-like eyes they surveyed then all like prey. (Then why was this assembly called?)

''Humare aadmi ka sirf 65 lakh ka karz tha. Khanon ki haraam ki kamayi nahi hai jo muft mei tumhein 20 lakh de den,'' Amir reminded- his words tinges in irony. His pagh was large, a tradition white one that rest on his head. (The debt is of 65 lakh. The Khan's don't grow money on trees that they gift extra 20lakh to you.)

For an awkward second, Murtasim's gaze flickered to Adeel and Zaid as the sat poised, without the obvious arrogance that their brother harboured. A stealthy look of understanding was exchanged - acknowledgment that it was all an show. Both sides dipped their toes in 'haram ke kamayi' which spanned from the alcohol, to the banned weapons, to the police corruption which reduced them to turning blind eyes to the feudals executing justice on their own account. (Prohibited income.)

''maine pehle bhi kaha hai, aur tum phir kehlwa rahe ho. Hum sood nahi denge,'' Murtasim announced, each word testament to him staying firm on his word. A cacophony of chatter erupted before them, pretending to be shocked at the mentioned of the interest. (I've said it before, and you are making me repeat myself. We will not pay interest.)

An audible tut cut through the air, silencing the confused murmurs. ''Sood nahi hai. Tax hai. Khanon pe tax,'' Mir replied in a cocky lilt. The lingering aura of arrogance was undeniable, openly throwing insults. (It's not interest. It's tax. Tax upon the Khan's.)

The temperature of Murtasim's blood dropped at the blatant disrespect. It was an firm slap, as if his people were lesser people that could be financially oppressed, and so he commanded, ''Bakwas band karo.'' He was mad, his were words rough and jagged along the edge- forcing everyone to sit up straight. (Stop the bullshit.)