Chapter 1

Like this flat sprite sitting on my nightstand I realized our love had fizzled out. As I ran my fingers through my knotty hair I realized I'd allowed Marquee to wring my heart dry of love and take me to depths of hurt I simply could've avoided. In a breath all I heard in my head was KC and Jojo's "Get on up".
Marquee and I met at the THC Lounge across from the corner store on 1st street down town. My outfit of choice you say? I wore a ribbed knit bodycon dress in the color coffee to match my skin tone with a transparent type high heel to keep all eyes on this petite brown body. My makeup was light like my aura and my lips, the sheerness of the gloss only accented my natural beauty.
As I walked through the door of the THC Lounge my body twisted as I walked. Not too much but, just enough to show the room I was comfortable and confident in my skin. After all it's not like I went in with my face caked with makeup. Society's opinion of me meant absolutely nothing and honestly if you can't change it in 60 second then, don't trip. I headed to the bar to order my usual Sprite and margarita-lime infused with THC drink at a whopping 50mg. Marquee sat on the left side of me being loud with his friends but, it's not like I noticed. Most bars on a weekend are loud. As usual I waited for my friend Neeka to show up late per usual.
Five minutes in I look down at my phone and Neeka knows me best...I will leave your ass before you can make it here, there and wherever. We've been friends since elementary school. Every class I took, she was in and vice verse. "FINALLY" I yelled as I seen her coming through the door skip-running. Of course we chose dresses that went down to our ankles with no thought of how we were gunna pee without putting a hole in our dresses due to our nails being medium to long length in a freshly done stiletto. Yessuh they're sharp when newly done sometimes. When Neeka finally sat to the bar she leaned in and hugged me while apologizing and proceeded to ask Marquee who the hell he was looking at and with a confident and almost quick response he said "Your friend."
Yes, this is how it all started and I still feel that feeling of shock and surprise. Confusion set in as well because, why was he behind me watching me so hard? Had he been watching me this whole time? I definitely wasn't interested and that was before I even looked at him. I'd sworn off dating and relationships all together since Neeka caught Jermaine cheating on me about year and a half ago.
"So what's your name beautiful?" he said as he tapped my shoulder lightly. "MARRIED!" I responded sternly. He looked down and giggled as he turned around and grabbed his drink to take a sip as he gradually turned back around to face me and opened his mouth with a bomb to drop on me to blow apart my sass and left me stunned. "Sweetheart as you turned around I'd already looked down at your hand so just say he ain't doing you right or you're afraid of me?" Woo he blind sided me 'cause any other man would've went about his business whether he seen my hand or not. "Afraid? Afraid of you?" I laughed trying to hide how far into my ass my heart fell and probably some other things like pride maybe, false ego. As I realized he could sense I wasn't as mean as I portrayed myself to be to avoid him and any possibility of opening the door to be played out like a fool I had to remember I'm playing Chess, not checkers. He smiled he leaned to whisper in my ear, "I'll see you around beautiful."
Watching his back as he headed to the door to walk out. I'll never forget it. He had on black jeans, button up shirt, low cut fade, dimples, juicy lips, white teeth and a pair of handsome eyes. Did I mention his beard? I could've kissed him. Dark skinned and smelled of Egyptian Musk...so satisfying. "UM HELLO!" Neeka said as she snapped her fingers. "Girl why are you hollering?" I asked her. Of course Neeka had to go into a rant about her sex life. I mean here lately she's been going hard in the dating game and I'm sure her list of failed relationship applications were denied. I wasn't taking applications at all. "Girl why did Trey call me today fussing about me dating when we're not even together anymore, like what the hell is that?" She whined. Whining at this point had me bent cause it's been 3 years since their split. "Neeka, let's have this drink and then we can get into all of that" I spoke showing mild aggravation. She sat back and blew her breath as she called to have a barista come over to serve her.
An hour and a half maybe, two after all the laughs, ranting and everyday updates her and I called it a night and began to head towards the door to head out to our cars and thank goodness we weren't too far off from one another. We both got into our cars and Neeka drove off first as I sat there to set up my music for my "On the way home drive." A couple taps on my driver window before I looked up and there was Mr. Dark chocolate with juicy lips. I slowly rolled down my window and stared at him with a confused look as I asked him what he wanted. "Mrs. Married, did you know your tire was flat?" he asked with a smile. "Yes I do and I'll get air in the morning it's 9:50 at night and dangerous out for any woman" I replied with seriousness. "I have an air pump with me if you'd like I can handle it for you 'cause I want you home safe..." he said as he looked deep into my eyes and I agreed. Why not? He's a man and so gentleman like. You know I had to ask why he was still here after I seen him leave and simply put, he had gone outside in the patio area. Just so happened he was leaving the patio area headed to his car and noticed me in the car beside him as he crunk up his car.
With every push down on the pump his muscles flexed. Not a drop of sweat but, pure energy. He got faster and in no time my tire was filled just enough for me to make it home and the car shop the following morning. "Thanks um...I really appreciate it what's your name again?" I asked humbly. "Marquee..." he responded as we looked into each others eyes. Time stopped in that moment.