Chapter two

"She doesn't have a crown on her head yet and she's already an arrogant bitch," said General Marcellus to the commander.

"Considering who she is, she can afford it," replied the commander. "But you have to admit that she's different from all the queens. She's more than good with a sword."

"If that priestess hadn't distracted her, she would have defeated you," said the general.

The commander looked at him in astonishment. "Never," he objected to his remark. "I'm better. She would never beat me."

"We can find out after returning to Deira," suggested the general.

The commander wanted to say something, but then the door opened and he preferred to remain silent. Amaya came out of her chambers and they both kept their eyes on her. They looked at her with amazement in faces.

"Do you have a wish, gentlemen?" Amaya said, rolling her eyes at their stares.

"You look like a warrior queen," said the commander.

She was wearing a brocade doublet embroidered with gold. She changed the skirt for narrow pants decorated with laces. She usually had knives tucked in, but now she didn't have any.

"Watch your words, Ciaran, someone might think you like her."

Commander Ciaran grinned.

"Can we go now?" Amaya said, ignoring their words.

"I'll make sure you don't have any other weapons," said the commander.

Amaya just rolled her eyes and let him search her. Of course, he found nothing. Who would have thought that a stick in her hair could serve as a dagger?

"We can go." The commander offered her a shoulder.

Pushing him away, Amaya walked past him and strode down the hall.

The rest of the army was waiting in front of the monastery. The priestesses watched as Amaya voluntarily left with the commander of the enemy army. They begged her not to do it. But what options did she have left?

"Amaya!" a female voice shouted her name.

Amaya saw the soldiers holding the high priestess in handcuffs.

"Release her immediately!" she ordered them.

The soldiers ignored her.

"She said that wherever that witch goes, she must go with her," they told their commander.

Amaya was like her own daughter to her. She was still young when she came to the monastery. She practically raised her. Her heart simply told her to go wherever the wind took Amaya. A constant need to protect her tormented her inside.

"You can't, Zariah," Amaya told her. "It's dangerous where we're going."

"That's exactly why I can't let you go alone, Amaya," Zariah objected.

"She's staying here," Amaya told the commander.

"She will go with us," the commander ordered his soldiers.

"No!" argued Amaya.

"If she comes with us, maybe you'll be more tame, little goddess." He smoothed an unruly strand of hair behind her ear with a gentle touch.

Amaya jerked his hand away. "I'm no goddess, but one day you'll worship me like one," she told him with venom on her tongue.

The army finally started to move. They have already lost more time than they planned. They wanted to be in the harbor by sunset, and the sun was getting dangerously close to the horizon. The commander put Amaya on his horse, insisting that she go with him.