Chapter 18

As Atlas stands on the stage beside Finnick, she wishes Diamond had given her shorter heels. Her feet ache and she can't help but let out a pained breath as she shifts on her feet. She can feel Finnick's eyes on her but she stares straight ahead, watching Mars walk onto the stage.

About halfway through Mars' interview, Atlas can hear a few audience members already crying. Mars had apparently decided to pander to the audience's, and a few of the victors, emotions by talking about his wife and daughters back in District 5. Atlas tries to tune him out, worried that her makeup will run if she listens to him. Eventually, the buzzer rings out and Mars walks up to stand beside Atlas. She sends him a soft smile as they make eye contact and both mutually decide not to mention the obvious tears in each other's eyes.

Atlas' eyes glaze over for the remainder of the interviews. She stands with a distant stare out at the audience, occasionally glancing down toward Caeser and whatever tribute he is interviewing. The audience has gotten progressively more upset as the interviews went on. By the time District 11 is done, it seems they are a few words away from a complete breakdown. Atlas only starts paying attention when a large flash of white appears in the corner of her eye. She breaks her gaze away from the audience to see District 12's very own Katniss Everdeen appearing on stage in the most gaudy wedding dress Atlas has ever seen, which is saying something considering the amount of Capitol wedding processions Atlas had seen. Somehow, the dress looked crazier under the stage lights than it had backstage.

The audience, though, does not share the same opinion of the dress as Atlas. Gasps echo around the building, a few people even letting out wails. Atlas can acknowledge that maybe Katniss did look a little pretty in the moment but she would never tell Katniss that.

     Katniss makes her way out to stand next to Caesar who is looking at her with a shocked look etched onto his extravagantly made-up face. The crowd is in shambles. People scream all around, Atlas wincing at the familiar sound. For a moment, the screams seem to harmonize into one all too familiar. Atlas' vision starts to get dark but she is pulled out of it as Caesar finally manages to get a word in.

     "So, Katniss, obviously this is a very emotional night for everyone. Is there anything you'd like to say?" Caesar asks the younger girl, an inviting smile on his face. Atlas watches as Katniss takes a shaky breath and for once, Atlas may feel slightly bad for the girl.

     The girl looks out at the crowd before glancing down at her extravagant dress, "Only that I'm so sorry you won't get to be at my wedding ... but I'm glad you at least get to see my dress. Isn't it just the most beautiful thing?"

     Katniss twirls the dress slowly, the fabric billowing out around her. Atlas assumes there would be some spectacle similar to last year with the whole dress-on-fire shtick. For a moment Atlas thinks that that's exactly what is happening when the edge of the dress is lit up, fire engulfing the white silk dress. But as screams echo from the crowd and the dress doesn't stop burning, Atlas second-guesses herself. Pearls bounce down to hit the stage and smoke seems to swallow Katniss up within it. Atlas looks over to Cinna in the audience who is looking on with satisfaction in his gaze as the girl on fire seems to burn right before his eyes. Since Cinna didn't seem to be concerned, Atlas swallowed her worry and looked upon Katniss once again, waiting for the smoke to die down and reveal Cinna's creation.

     As Katniss' twirling comes to a stop, Atlas sees the girl's new gown. A sleek dress made of what seems to be black feathers that drape sleekly down her body to reach the ground. The dress shines under the lights and Atlas watches as the girl raises her arms above her head.

A humorous laugh leaves Atlas' mouth as she sees the wings spreading out around Katniss. They very obviously resemble a mockingjays and Atlas can't help the grin she attempts to bite back. For the first time since her interview ended, Atlas glances over to Finnick but she sees his eyes already on her. She ignore the fire roaring in her stomach and simply raises her eyebrows, Finnick responding with a shake of his head, blonde hair falling in front of his eyes. Atlas looks away before he can reach a strong hand up to brush the hair away.