Prolouge

A young boy of the age of twelve ran through the valley, not knowing where he was going nor what his goal was. He just wanted to get away.

'I couldn't do it...' The boy thought to himself. 'I let my fear get the best of me... again...'

'I'll never be a rider, I'll never be a hero like the ones in my stories!'

The boy slowed down, wiping the tears from his eyes. He didn't know what he could do. He needed to tame and raise a wyvern, but how could he when he was such a coward? He didn't know how he could ever show his face to the village.

Taking a seat on a nearby rock, the boy started to sob. The weight of his shame and fear collapsing in on him.

It felt he was there for hours, just sobbing as he was hidden within the darkness of the night.

Yet, from the rocks of the cliff surrounding him, he heard... something. He flinched in fear. Whatever it was, it sounded large. He squeezed his eyes shut, hoping it was just his imagination, and his heart nearly skipped a beat when he felt something curiously lick his face.

He fell backwards, off of the rock he was sitting on, and opened his eyes to be met with the gaze of a wyvern.

"Huh?!" The boy exclaimed, stumbling backwards. "St-Stay back! D-Don't eat me please!"

He shut his eyes tightly, waiting for the wyvern to either set him on fire or simply eat him, but the wyvern didn't do either. Instead, it licked him playfully.

"H-Huh..?" The boy asked softly. "You're... friendly..?"

The wyvern let out a small, friendly growl and kept licking him, only stopping when they heard someone approaching.

The boy turned his head, and saw a girl approaching the wyvern, seemingly communicating to it in its language.

The girl looked about his age, although she definitely wasn't from his village. Her outfit was casual, yet vibrant. Her demeanor was friendly, yet odd. And her smile... something was off about it.

Someone like her... he would've noticed if she was in his village. She's just too unique to miss.

"Uhm, excuse me." He asked the girl, who turned to him in response, her smile never wavering.

"Hm? I've never seen you before." Her smile only widened. "How interesting! Who are you?"

"M-My name is Royal Margarine Cookie." The boy responded. "Who are you?"

"I'm Pan Dulce Cookie. And this right here is Buttercream."

"Buttercream? You gave it a name?"

"It's the name she likes best!"

"She?"

"Yeah, Buttercream's a girl. You can tell based on the coloring on her stomach, see? Males normally have darker scales right around here."

"Huh, I never knew that. You know a lot about wyverns, don't you?"

"I guess, I find wyverns and dragons super interesting. I've been coming out here to hang out with the wyverns here ever since I was little. I even learned to speak their language!"

"Wow, I've never heard of anyone being able to speak with wyverns."

"Not surprising, people don't tend to have the time, patience, or interest in wyverns to take the time to learn their language."

"Still, I don't think anyone has been able to speak wyvern before. Not even the Dragon Riders."

"You've heard of them too?"

"Y-Yeah, of course, I'm... part of the clan after all."

"You are?!" Pan Dulce's eyes lit up with excitement, and her smile grew much wider. No matter how kind she was, Royal Margarine couldn't help but think her wide smile was very unsettling.

"Yeah, I am..."

"Really, that's so interesting! I can't imagine how amazing it would be to be surrounded by dragons and wyverns all the time."

"It's... just wyverns now. We stopped taming and riding dragons generations ago."

"Still, all those wyvern, it must be incredible!" Pan Dulce's smile became a bit smaller, and she became serious. "Oh, but, what are you doing out here? It's getting late and I think the village is pretty far from here right?"

"It isn't that far but... I ran away. Not permanently! Just, for a while."

"You ran away? Why? Did something happen?"

"Well, it's a bit silly..."

"Margarine, I literally talk to wyverns. Whatever it is, I can't really judge you."

"Oh, ah, true. And, my name is Royal Margarine."

"I know, it's just a mouthful to say, so I shortened it! You don't mind, do you?"

"No, I don't mind when you put it that way. It is a lot to say."

"So, can I call you Rine? We're friends after all, we should have nicknames! You can call me Dulce."

"That sounds good to me."

"Great! So, Rine, why did you run over here?"

"Well..." Royal Margarine took a deep breath. "Once someone in my clan turns 12, they have to tame and raise a wyvern in order to become a rider. And I... ended up getting scared and running away."

He wrapped his arms around Pan Dulce, and her expression softened as he did. "I want to be a really cool Dragon Rider and go on quests to save people like in those stories, but I can't do that if I can't even tame a wyvern without getting scared."

"Hmm, maybe I can find a way to help." Pan Dulce thought for a bit before seeing Buttercream softly nuzzle the young dragon rider, hoping to comfort him and even succeeding a bit.

"Oh, that's it!" Pan Dulce exclaimed, making Royal Margarine look at her with intrigue.

"Huh? Did you figure something out?"

"How about you go back with Buttercream? You seem really comfortable with her, and she really likes you! Plus, she's also a young wyvern, and you seem like you'll be able to raise her well!"

"But, isn't Buttercream your wyvern?"

"Hehe, no silly! Buttercream's my friend, and she's a wild wyvern. I was only playing hide and seek with her! Besides, you can just leave me out of the story when people ask about her. Just tell them you found her and became fast friends!"

"But, what about Buttercream? Is she ok with it?"

Pan Dulce turned to Buttercream and asked her something in Wyvern, to which Buttercream responded with something that made the unique girl smile wider.

"She said she's more than willing to be your wyvern, and that she'll make sure to take good care of you!"

"Ah, are you sure?"

"100%! Now, we should really get back home, it's getting late."

"Oh, right. Should we meet up around here again?"

"Sounds good to me! I'm out here pretty much everyday hanging out with the wyverns, so just look out for me when you want hang out! Sound good?"

"That sounds good to me. It was nice to meet you Dulce."

"It was nice to meet you too Rine! I have the feeling we'll be good friends for a long time."