Chapter 4

It took about a week for Aerion to finally give in and decide that Dragonstone was horrible. He'd tried to remain optimistic, but it was a futile task. The island was consistently dark, foggy, and cold with a sea that beat so violently against the rocks that most days swimming was far too dangerous to attempt.

Despite the horrid weather, living on Dragonstone may have been alright if everyone hadn't fallen into mourning within the first week of their arrival. Only days after they'd reached Dragonstone, news of Ser Harwin's death in a fire at Harrenhal had arrived by letter and a few days after that, a message had arrived informing them their aunt, the Lady Laena, had died in childbirth.

To say his parents were devastated was an understatement. His mother attempted to put on a brave face for him and his brothers, but she'd taken to spending long stretches of time alone in her chambers with only Joffrey for company before coming out with red rimmed eyes.

His father was even worse. The moment he'd read the letter about Laena, he'd collapsed to the ground in shock and had to be helped back to his rooms by both Ser Qarl and a member of the Kingsguard. Ever since then, he'd been almost catatonic, staring out windows and saying nothing for hours on end. Aerion wanted to help both of them, but he didn't know how. He couldn't do anything to bring their loved ones back to life.

Dragonstone was gloomy at the best of times, but when it was shrouded in grief it was hard to feel like any type of joy could live within its halls. Aerion had spent the majority of his time hidden in the library either reading or scribbling down a ridiculous amount of letters to Aegon. Some he sent; others he didn't.

He never received a reply to any of them.

Aerion tried not to take it to heart. Aegon had never been one for letter writing and ravens were known to get lost from time to time. He kept assuring himself that Aegon would write him back soon. But with each day that passed, he felt his mood grow darker until it almost resembled the continually raging storm outside the castle's windows.

They were still forced to have school lessons with the maester and to practice sword training with Ser Qarl. He made arms training almost bearable, at least. He was kind in a way Criston had never been and encouraging as well. If it wasn't for all the other outside factors, Aerion might have found himself enjoying the practice.

As it stood though, he felt little interest in doing that or anything else, his mind preoccupied with the letters. He'd poured his heart out in the last one he'd sent, telling Aegon that he felt lonely and helpless in the face of his parents overwhelming grief. He begged him to write back as soon as possible, just so that he could know Aegon was still thinking of him despite their separation.

There'd yet to be an answer to that letter either, but Aerion tried to convince himself that there was still time for a reply to come. Maybe later today, a raven would arrive for him.

"Aerion!" Jace snapped. He quickly glanced over to his brother, blinking in slight surprise. "Have you been listening to anything I just said?"

Aerion shrugged. "Sorry."

They had decided to go for a walk on the beach together. The weather hadn't exactly turned pleasant, but it wasn't currently raining and they had very little to do back at the castle once their lessons were over.

"I said I'm tired of feeling alone here."

"Everyone is feeling alone here," Aerion muttered, kicking idly at a rock lodged in the beaten down sand of the shore.

"Yeah, but you're moping around about how Aegon isn't answering your letters. It's not like he's dead."

"Being dead would be a good excuse for why he can't pick up any sort of writing utensil."