Chapter 1 ~ Ghosts of The Past

She sat on her vanity, her fingers gently finding their way through her hair. She giggled silently to herself as she began to braid her hair for bed, her loosely fitted nightgown swayed as she crossed her legs. Kay was elated. Today was her 100th birthday and she was still high on all the festivities that commenced to honor her birthday. At her coming-of-age ceremony later this evening, she will be given her full-ledged name by her parents. This would mark her as a lady officially ready to be wed. The banquet held in the high princess' honor, her honor, still sent shivers down her spine.

She was finally ready to start following in her parents' footsteps, the king and the queen of Gorthdor. All the potential suitors that asked for her hand in a dance or wished to speak to her sent her heart into a tizzy. She clutched onto her sapphire pendant, glowing ever so bright in the midnight's shine. She rose from her vanity and made her way to the balcony. Thinking about her dance with him sent her heart into overdrive.

She slowly made her way to the doors, gently turning the knobs of each door and pulling out, greeting the chilled air with a warm smile. Her hair gently danced in the wind, flowing in time with the breeze. She gently ran her fingers against her porcelain skin, allowing her eyes to flutter closed and take in the fresh air. She wanted to savor every moment of her birthday she could, because she knew from this moment forward, her life would never be the same.

A specific scent drew her from her relaxation. Her eyes shot open, thinking there must have been an error in the scent. Her pace quickened as she leaned over the balcony railing, gazing out into the kingdom's streets, roads, houses, pubs, everything. She found no proof of the pungent scent that was corrupting her senses. It was far too close to be incorrect.

'Wait! Could that smell be coming from-"

Before her question could be answered, a shrill came from the hallway as well as the sound of clashing blades and falling bodies. Kay froze. She couldn't believe this was happening.

'A breach?! How can this even be possible?! There were triple the amount of guards as usual, they surely would've seen something coming. Someone planning to hurt us, how couldn't they!'

Despite her thoughts running rampant, her body acted out of instinct, hurling open her closet door, ripping a wooden floorboard out, and grabbing the extra set of gear. Wrapping the belt around her body and fastening it, she grabbed her sword and slid it into the belt holder. She dawned her longbow and quiver full of arrows before retreating into the darkest corner of her room and waited.

'I have to get to Mom and Dad! I have to make sure Reigandiel is okay as well. If they are killed, all is lost.'

Truth was, she'd never killed a soul before. She had practice, but this was way different. There was no one to help her up and tell her,

"Better luck next time, your highness."

If she wasn't good enough, she'd be cut down. Her hands began to shake as those thoughts crept into her mind.

Without having much time to collect her thoughts, her door was kicked down by a few infantrymen whistling, as if they were calling out to something.

"Come on out peach, we promise we won't hurt you as long as you come out quietly without a struggle, peach."

She couldn't make much out about the speaker other than he was tall, dark, and very muscular. The other was lanky and shorter, but she could tell made up for it in speed. The lower half of his body was conditioned to run at a moment's notice, she rolled her eyes in annoyance. She then realized there was no 'heroic escape' happening this time. To get to her loved ones, she has to kill the two guards. She sighed and calmed her breathing, staying hidden in the darkest corner of her room. She slowly placed a hand on her sword, wondering if she could kill these men.