Chapter 4

The darkness would have been threatening to anyone else, but I didn't mind it. Kieran and I had been separated the moment we had stepped into the maze. I was in a dark cave, walking around, but always ending up at the same place. It started getting on my nerves. What was the point of a maze if I got nowhere, but stuck in the same place? The time in there was not easy to tell either. Had anyone even gotten out of there yet? I inhaled and closed my eyes; it was too silent to be able to figure out which way was the right one. It could also make sense if the right path kept changing. Something was wrong, but I couldn't exactly figure out exactly what it was that made me feel restless.

Stories about the maze had been told for ages, about the different challenges that it could throw you into. It had been a tradition for the nobles to enter and the last duo coming out would get their prize. But never had it said anything about separating the duo, nor about being thrown into another place. Not even the people who had been in there before had talked about it changing.

"Clear your head, Adriana. Take this as another training lesson form your father," I mumbled, taking a deep breath.

Kieran had his powers, so he was certain to get out of here in one piece. Well. So did everyone else that I could remember had entered the maze. Why was it different this time around? Was the maze annoyed that they had let someone without powers in? I groaned and dug out the dagger that Castiel had put in my dress.

"Everyone has gone insane it seems like," I mumbled and pulled the blade out from it's safety, "what the hell?"

I had to close my eyes as I staggered backwards. How had it turned so bright? I blinked a few times to readjust my vision before going to pick up the blade from the ground. My body froze halfway, sensing something in the shadows.

"Why didn't you save me?"

That voice. I gently grabbed the blade and slowly straightened myself, feeling the presence in the shadows. His words like a chant at the back of my mind as the shadows were swirling around my feet. I couldn't move, couldn't speak, I couldn't do anything.

"Where is the warrior I raised?"

"You're dead, I watched you die, I sent you on your last journey," I whispered, the air getting heavier.

"Then how come I'm standing here?"

The air got stuck in my throat as he appeared right in front of me. His face barely recognizable, his hands on my shoulders.

"Why didn't you save me?" he screamed.

None of this was real. This was all an illusion. But his hands, they were warm, they were not one of the dead. I opened my mouth to speak, but he disappeared into thin air. Where had he gone?

"Dad?" I called out, forcing myself to move.

"You're the reason I died."

"Adriana. Wake up."

I shook my head, heading for one of the hallways in the cave, following my dad's voice. It had only been days since I last saw him, but oh how I missed hearing his voice. It didn't matter if all it did was put the blame on me, it was his voice after all.

"Dad?" I called out again.

No answer. I tried to call out again, but still no answer. Had the new voice scared him away? I shook my head and continued to stumble through the halls, looking for the source of the voice. He had to be here somewhere.

"Adriana, you need to get into the water."

"There's no water, can't you see?" I replied, shaking my head.