[Chapter 9] - Exhibition of the Fittest

(POV - 3RD)

Following Kamui's sudden entry into their mission, the Gray Ravens plus Commandant moved on with their task which is the same as the former's; tracking down the Ascendant that came here to the museum estate belonging to a very late "Mr. Copperfield".

The group fought their way through the estate with Kamui still following them thus making the mission significantly easier thanks to his virtually superior strength as a Tank-type Construct although the Gray Ravens' vastly upgraded frames and weapons evened the odds.

"You still plan on following us?" Lee asked out of nowhere, eyeing Kamui who only replied back positively without a hitch.

"Of course I have to! Gotta clean up my own mess otherwise my captain is going to nag me for hours on again!" 

"With how much mess you're causing, I'd say it's no surprise..." The gunner remarked curtly, glancing around them at the fragments of what used to be the Corrupted.

"Man, I swear you're becoming more blunter by the minute. I think I'm starting to dislike you." Kamui retorted with a slight frown, one reciprocated by Lee.

"Go ahead and knock yourself out." He stated though he seems to say it more literally than figuratively which the Commandant noted.

"How about both of you knock it off because we're about to reach the next line of defence." Kiryu interrupted them just as more Corrupted emerged.

"Understood, my apologies Commandant." Lee affirmed, twirling his guns.

"Roger that!" Kamui seconded, hefting his greatsword.

Despite the numerous Corrupted that leapt at them, the Gray Ravens and the lone Strike Hawk Construct easily eradicated them, leaving quite a scene at the estate to which the latter noted something interesting in comparison to himself and the formers.

After smashing his greatsword down one last undead machine, he turned to the Gray Ravens with curiosity as he observed how much faster they eliminated the Corrupted than him.

"Hey, is it just me or are y'all somehow stronger than me?" Kamui inquired, staring at himself and his weapon if anything was amiss.

"We are technically stronger than you, most of our weapons and frames were attuned specifically for us and our capabilities." Lee answered albeit begrudgingly.

"And your Commandant did that for you? All of you?" The Strike Hawk asked again.

"Correct, even though he didn't need to but we are grateful nonetheless." Liv interjected.

"Hmm... okay!' Was all Kamui said before he ran off to said Commandant.

"Hey! Don't bother him-!" Lee began but the Tank-type Construct had already reached Kiryu who was in the middle of examining a dead Corrupted.

"Yo, Commandant!!" Kamui called out to Kiryu who then turned around with a raised brow behind his helmet.

"Yes? Is there something you need?" 

"Can I also get some 'upgrades' from you like you did to Lucia and co.?" Hands pressing together with a cheeky grin which surprised Kiryu from his peculiar request.

"While I'm not against it, what brought this question up?" The said Commandant inquired.

"Nothing much but seeing your squad easily beating up the Corrupted kinda made me a tad bit envious? So if it's not too much trouble, can I also get some upgrades?"

"Oh, and I'll be sure to put in a good word for you with Leader and the rest of the Strike Hawk!" Kamui added with a grin and thumbs up.

"Hm... I'm certain that Constructs under my jurisdiction are allowed to have their frames modified so you'll need to make a note of a temporary transfer-" Kiryu started.