Episode 13 - Shifting of Tides

A week had passed since the Crown Prince initially hid himself at the Ramirez Mansion but it was about time for him to leave and meet up with Duke Bay of the West. He had already prepared for his departure and was ready to leave as quickly as he entered.

Of course, he'd wanted to leave quietly, and left a handwritten note at his room. He fixed up his coat and sheathed his sword to his side. He carried his small sack of belongings and sneaked out the building.

As he carefully tread the estate's truthfully insecure interior, passing by well tended garden and the intricate fountain located in the front. He ended up near the gate laxly guarded by two sleeping guards.

"Alright." He whispers to himself as he was about to vault over the lofty walls of the estate.

"Leaving already, Your Highness?" A young effeminate voice spoke behind him callously.

His back jerked in surprise and he turned to see a familiar maid, posed professionally, and eyeing him carefully. How did she manage to sneak up on him? Ben couldn't answer you either.

"Miss Teresa?!" He yelled in whispers.

"Rest assured, It is me, Your Highness." Her voice was cold, near frozen even.

"What are you doing here?"

"There have been a few instances of intruders this past few weeks at the estate. I have simply come to make sure that there wouldn't be another break-in." She explained. "However, what about you, Your Highness? What business do you have on the bushes by the gate of our estate?"

Ben was a bit concerned as to how she expected to fight an intruder all on her own but he had to explain himself right now.

"I just wanted to vanish quietly, Miss Teresa. Nothing more than that." He smiled and the maid remained tepid.

"It would've been better if you had announced it prior to your departure." Her words struck like frostbite. "My Lady would be quite alarmed if you simply fled without notice."

"I left a letter."

"I expected as much."

"..."

"..."

"So can I go?"

"Naturally...one more thing, however, if I may, Your Highness?" Her eyes shifted to lock into his.

"Go ahead." Ben smirked.

"Take care and stay safe, Glory to the Crimson Dragon." She bowed her head and caught the prince off guard.

"I see... Thanks." Ben grinned and bowed too. "Thank you for taking me in."

"My Lady, would've liked to hear that from you." She said.

"Tell her for me then."

"Indeed I will, it is my duty as her maid after all." And just like that, she turned her back and headed back slowly to the mansion on foot.

Ben suspiciously watched as she went further and further. For a mere maid to sneak up on him, who had experience in battle, and thus is always on high alert. It seems like Miss Teresa is far more than she lets on.

However, there was no time to ponder about the maid any longer. Duke Bay would have been waiting for him at the designated spot for some time now.

He leaped up the wall and landed on the other side with a light silent thump.

He then scurried away from the front gate and headed as fast as he could at the meet up spot.

It took a tricky sneak out the city and a few dozen minutes of straight sprinting for him but he finally reached the place.