Fried Fish

The beams of sunlight hit the deck of the wooden ship as it sailed across the cool sea. The only one on the top of the deck was Gillion claiming that 'the heat never affected me in the undersea!' and continued to train on the upper deck Pretzel observing from her little ball of water. The crew of Mana had never experienced a heatwave such as this before. Gillion was the only one in the sun as the others either hid in the little shade they had or further below the deck. Chip and Jay laid on their respective hammocks Jay's jacket discarded and Chips shirt unbuttoned. They carved the window out letting the wind go through the room. The ocean water occasionally splashed inside but neither cared in fact they welcomed it. 

Although they felt like they were glued to each of their own hammocks Chip managed to fall out of his hammock and crawled to the open window. Jay heard the thud and kindly just assumed that the heat had taken another victim and not to judge. He let half of his body hang outside embracing the heavenly breeze. Now Jay wished the heat had taken him. 

"Chip move your fat ass away from the window." Jay groaned now sitting up. She was not in the mood for Chip to throw himself into the ocean right now. 

"At least i have an ass." Chip retorted in his delirious state. Jay slowly moved upwards and grabbed his legs pulling him out the window. Chip yelped falling to the floor and Jay replaced him sighing in relief.  Glaring upwards Chip squeezed laying on top of her. "Move Jay!" 

"Get your sweaty body away from me you creature!" Jay pushed Chip's face away smushing it against the border of the window.  Chip attempted to pull Jay back but Jay grabbed onto the edge of the border with all of her might. 

"Jay if you do not move i swear down i will strip into nothing." Jay immediately sacrificed the relief as Chip chuckled into the ocean breeze. Pouting and sitting back on her hammock she sniffled. Suddenly, a strong delicious scent filled her nose. Slowly, the smell drifted to Chip whose head shot up hitting the top of the window. The two lock eyes and start sprinting to the door. They both knew the rule of first come first serve and that usually meant that there was little left for the others. Chip jumped over Jay and started running up the stairs. Jay grabbed one of Chip's swords and stabbed his pant leg into the floor pinning him to the stairs. Jay giggled watching Chip pull at his sword and ran to the kitchen. 

Skidding on the wooden floor Jay made it into the kitchen expecting to see Earl with many different chopped up food. Instead she found Earl had set up a hammock in the kitchen and was snoring away. Chip rushed past the kitchen door knowing the smell wasn't coming from there internally calling Jay a fool in his head. Jay followed behind as Chip got to the top of the deck. Looking around he noticed none of his crew were eating anything just attempting to hide from the sun. Jay walked in the other direction seeing Gryffon standing at the pole watching over the crew. 

The two walked around the ship looking for any kind of food until they heard the sound of Gillion yelling. Wondering if he made himself food for after his training the two went to see him. Jay winced seeing him in the sunlight and her eyes widened seeing the state of him. The amazing smell was coming from him seeing his red shoulders as his attacks seemed a lot more tense his whole upper half of his body being bright red. Jay looked at Chip and slapped him after seeing his drooling face. 

"Gil you gotta stop training." Jay walked to the edge of the shade. 

"What'd ya mean Jay?" Gillion turned sweat covering his body. "I feel fine like i said!" Gillion turned and moved around more slashing at nothing. 

"Yeah you may feel fine but you don't look fine." Chip mentioned standing in the sun closer to Gillion. Chip flicked his shoulder and Gillion jumped away pointing the blade at Chip. 

"OW!" Gillion looked at the marks and realised he was red. "Did you do that?" He pointed at the red marks. Chip facepalmed and Gillion got into a stance. "Let's duel Chip! If you win i'll stop for whatever the reason is you want me to!" Chip groaned and grabbed his sword out not wanting to argue. 

"Yeah keep him busy i'm gonna go find him some lotion." Jay quickly left not wanting to get involved with that. After a few minutes of back and forth between the two Chip was exhausted and couldn't understand Gillion's determination to keep fighting in this heat. Eventually Chip let his sword fall and his body fell to the floor in 'defeat'. 

"I WIN!" Gillion cheered. Then his own body fell to the floor seemingly passed out. Chip chuckled and raised his arms. 

"I win bitch." Then he soon followed his head hitting the wooden floor with a thud. A judgmental Pretzel shook her head from a distance. 

Jay searched around the ship but couldn't find any lotion anywhere. Looking out of the bedroom window she noticed a sea mart a bit further away from the ship. She looked at the distance and shrugged throwing herself out of the window into the water below. Embracing the cool water she quickly started swimming towards the shop. 

Getting into the shop she gathered lotion and different packaged food for Earl to mess around with cooking. She went up to the shop keeper who had a name-tag saying 'Blaze'. The man's eyes widened when he saw her and immediately leaned his hand on chin  smirking at her. Jay immediately felt uncomfortable and flustered she was not in the mood to deal with men. 

"What's a pretty bird like you doing in a heat like this?" He winked and Jay grabbed a handful of various currencies throwing them onto the side. 

"I have a vampire girlfriend who will eat you!" Jay quickly fled and jumped into the ocean. Her red face cooling in the ocean water putting the bottle and food in her bag attached to her belt. She quickly swam the thought of Anastasia still in her mind under the water with her. She felt her arms wrap around her body. A mouth pressed to her neck. Until the vision faded and she was by the ship. 

"GRYFFON!" Jay called. In a few minutes Gryffon threw a rope down. Jay quickly climbed up to see Gryffon glaring at him. "Thank you Gryffon... how about you go for a nap?" She chuckled as he grumbled walking away under the deck. Walking around feeling more refreshed she noticed Gillion and Chip laying on the deck each of their bodies their own respectable amount of red. She shook her head and dragged the two out of the sun. She went to the kitchen and grabbed a tankard of water and threw it into Chip's face. Chip awoke with a squeal and watched as Jay tended to an awake Gillion. Despite Chip being the sun his skin wasn't flaking off or burning too bad. 

"So what spell did Chip learn to do this to my skin?" Gillion asked poking the burn before Jay slapped his hand away. 

"It wasn't Chip it was the sun." Jay poured lotion onto her hands. "It's called a sunburn." 

"It burned me?" Gillion glared at the sun before looking away. "OW! I swear to the undersea i will get rid of this evil beast which taunts us in the sky." He reached for his sword which was on the other side of the deck until Jay pushed him back down giving him a warning look. 

"Isn't the sun like... your mother?" Chip asked laying in the shade on the cool wooden floor remembering Gil's various rambles. Gillion sat frozen until tears filled his eyes. 

"Why does my mother hate me?" He shakily asked. Jay turned his warning look to Chip and Pretzel shuffled to him tapping him with one of her tentacles which Chip assumed to be a futile attempt of a punch. Chip wearily smiled as an apology as Gillion tucked his legs in sad while Jay continued to tend to his skin. 

The next day rolled around and because the three captains were awake in the early morning it felt cooler than yesterday. However the reasons they were awake were not the best. Gillion couldn't sleep in his barrel without leaning against it and being in some sort of pain. Chip had burns all across his backside from passing out on the deck and every single bit of visible skin on Jay was red as she sighed applying lotion to herself. 

"How did this even happen?" Gillion asked poking her burnt skin which she lightly slapped away. 

"I was in the sun for more than five seconds." Jay sighed and turned around to see Chip walking towards her. He started poking her skin. 

"So?" The two poked her until she dropped the bottle and grabbed both of their hands. 

"I'm ginger!"