←5

◦◾◽sweet mistake◽◾◦

◦◾◽sweet mistake◽◾◦

"Come on, knucklehead. You can't take that long to wear your shoes!" Elliot hears from down the hall where he is perched on the edge of his bed, a wide smile on his face as he slips his shoes on. Anais is standing at his front door, impatient and just about ready to stomp to his room and drag him out.

He jumps up when he hears her start a countdown, chuckling to himself as he grabs his keys and heads towards his friend. "It wasn't just my shoes, but okay." The two set off towards the underground garage of his apartment, taking the elevator to take them there. On the road to the New Year's party organised by his colleagues, Anais plays obnoxious music, loud and unforgiving in Elliot's ears, but he lets her, smiling all the way there.

The new year has just begun, and tonight he was going to let loose for just a while, to let himself feel care-free and happy, as if he had no worries at all. His resolution for the year is to find something meaningful for his life, whether it be in his profession or as someone's partner out there.

With the help of Anais, Elliot skips up the stairs leading to the two-story house of his team's leader. Their leader is a woman in her thirties with a bright smile and an equally bright personality, but that has fooled many before. She isn't one to take advantage of as she is smarter than she lets on.

Inside, the house is decorated prettily, with fairly lights and decorative flowers and ornaments. Tables of food and drink line a wall while a whole room is dedicated to where guests might seat themselves and take a rest. The backyard is filled with more people, a few men and women at the barbeque while the others mingle and chat with drinks in their hands.

Anais lets out a child-like squeal next to him, urging them towards the food where she fills a plate and begins to chew. Elliot chuckles, grabbing himself a non-alcoholic drink and watching as the other guests mix and enjoy themselves. Sometime later, he loses sight of Anais, but he doesn't worry too much, too busy trying to choose a finger-food to start with. "The crackers are really good."

Elliot turns to find a woman smiling at him, nude painted lips turned upward at the corners. He nods slowly, looking back at the table where the crackers lay looking appetizing and ready to be eaten. The toppings are what catch his interest; tiny pieces of bacon and cheese while others seem to have other types of meat or seafood. He takes a generous bite out of one, humming in approval and glancing back at the woman. "Thanks..."

"Yasley. Yasley May, and you're welcome." Her smile is so infectious it has him smiling too, a wide, innocent smile that creases the corners of his eyes and reveals his Dahlia dimples. "I assume you're one of the colleagues?"