001/Back Home

I couldn't explain how excited I was. After five years of being told "maybe next summer," and "you'll see her soon," I finally get to visit my mother. My parents are divorced, they have been since I was seven. Up until I was eleven I would spend the summer at my mother's house.

I packed all my swimsuits, the bathroom essentials, a couple books and movies, half my wardrobe, and my writing equipment into an old grey canvas tote bag. I was so close to being ready. I was going to miss my dog, Cotty. I tucked a polaroid of him in my pocket for good memory.

"Maya, we're going to be late," called my father from the kitchen. He meant we'd be so close to cutting time that we couldn't stop for coffee. "Maya, I'm serious. Are you packed and ready to leave?"

I was packed but still in pajama's, "I'm packed, let me change real quick!" I hollered back. Before I could find anything to wear he knocked on my door.

"We don't have time for you to change, we have to leave now. Grab your bags and meet me at the car," he replied with a husky and stern tone. "I'll see you in five minutes."

I loved my father but he was never lenient with time or getting his daily coffee. I let out a sigh and rolled my eyes once I was sure he had gone back down stairs. It looked like I was arriving to Tulsa in my pajama's.

I turned to my bed and grabbed my bags before running down the stairs and out the door. I was met with the unpleasant smell of the streets. The comforting smell of New York. The entire state was consisted of big smelly cities. I tossed my bags into the trunk of the car and took one last look around at the dead city. It was the only time of day it seemed remotely calm. It was still dark and the sun wouldn't rise for another few hours.

If we were lucky we would make it to the rest stop by midnight which was only three more hours before Tulsa. I'd be there by the next morning. "We'll stop for coffee in Pennsylvania, once everything is open."

"I know, I remember. Even if it has been five years," I snared back at him. I was salty about him not letting me go. Sometimes I had wished that the court put me primarily with my mother after the divorce, but only when I really missed her.

I loved my father, even if he had kept me away from her. "You know why I did that," he grumbled. I really didn't, I mean I had an idea but nobody had straight up told me.

"I actually don't, care to enlighten me?" I crossed my arms and leaned against the icy glass of the window. Even if they had personal issues, I didn't understand why I was the one who suffered consequences. "I have siblings there. You kept me from them."

"They're only half of you. They are half siblings, Maya. You've met them a few times back when you still went for the summer. Ask your mother why you couldn't come, or I'm turning the car around," he threatened vaguely. I groaned at his threat and turned up the radio, it was going to be a long ride.

I must've dozed off again in the car after our argument. However, I did wake up to the sweet smell of Bellefonte's best diner. My senses alerted the rest of my body to wake as we pulled in front of The Waffle House. I hadn't had those waffles and hot chocolate in five years and I couldn't believe it at all.

I had forgotten all about the argument and my face lit up with a smile. I saw the relief wash over my father's face as I got excited. "Hey, kid. I need you to promise me, before we go in there, that we won't argue the rest of the trip. I can't leave you upset with me for three months at your mother's place."

"Of course, I love you, dad," I grinned and nodded.

"I love you too, kiddo," he unlocked the car doors and we raced inside. It was lively and smelt like heaven. The waffles, the pancakes, the coffee, the pies. It smelt like childhood. Even before the divorce we used to stop here as a family on our way to grandma's house. When she passed away my father inherited her house, which is the one we lived in now.