Chapter 23

The servant led Aemeryn to Jace's chambers in silence. Aemond had decided to stay in their own and let Aemeryn speak to her brother in peace. He would be here for her when she returned. Thankfully, he hadn't seen Decran at all in the few minutes they had been here. Harrenhal was crawling with people, and Aemond hated it. He sighed and flopped back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Gods, Aemeryn was having his baby. Aemond couldn't help the smile that threatened to break his face in two, but he knew something was worrying her about it. He just didn't know what.

Aemeryn opened the door and watched the two men jerk away from each other. She didn't have it in her to tease Jace and simply stared. It took Jace a moment to realize his sister was standing in the doorway, and he frowned when it finally clicked.

"Cregan, do you mind giving me a moment with my brother?" Aemeryn's voice was completely devoid of emotion, and Jace's frown deepened. Cregan only nodded as he quickly climbed out of the bed. Jace followed suit, and Aemeryn ignored their nakedness as they dressed quickly.

"Em, what's the matter?" Jace asked as he walked over to her.

"I'm pregnant," she whispered as she let her gaze fall on her brother. Jace's mouth dropped open in surprise before it slowly turned into a smile.

"You're telling me I'm going to be an uncle? By the Gods, Em, this is great!" Jace let out a disbelieving chuckle, and Aemeryn scowled at him before shoving passed him to sit at the table shoved in the corner of the room. "How is Aemond taking the news?"

"As well as you."

Jace furrowed his brows at his sister's tone and walked over to her. She was picking at the skin around her nails again, and he had to grab her hands to make her stop.

"Are you not excited, Em? You've always wanted to have a baby with Aemond."

"That was before everything," Aemeryn groaned as she let her head fall to the table with a dull thud. Jace chuckled and picked her head up gently by her hair. It wasn't the first time the two of them had done this with each other, and it wouldn't be the last.

"What exactly is everything?"

"Aemond losing his eye, Grandsire dying, Aegon usurping the throne, and a fucking war. Not to mention what Daemon said-" Aemeryn caught herself before she repeated the words, but Jace's interest was already piqued.

"What did Daemon say to you?" Jace let her hair go and kept his dark gaze on hers. Aemeryn's bottom lip quivered, and she bit it to stop.

"I can't have a baby, Jace. I can't be pregnant in the middle of this shit; Mother will need me."

"You've already been to battle pregnant, Em. You just didn't know," Jace whispered. Of course part of her fear would be not being able to finish this war. "Now, what did Daemon say?"

Aemeryn took a deep breath and stayed silent. She traced an invisible line on the table, and Jace sat with her patiently until she was ready to tell him. Jace would be angry, sure, but Aemond would kill Daemon if he ever found out what he said.

"You can't tell Aemond."

"Why would I tell Aemond?"

"Because I have no plans to," Aemeryn said with a sad grin. Jace arched a dark brow. "He said that if Aemond had a son, he would kill it to avenge Luke." Jace stilled as the words left his sister's mouth. Daemon told her that he would kill Aemond's son? "He wouldn't care if it was his grandson or not."

"When did he tell you this?" Jace wouldn't keep the rage out of his voice, and Aemeryn arched a brow at him in return.

"When he strangled me."