✧ 𝐎𝐍𝐄

" La tua presenza mi dona pace

" La tua presenza mi dona pace. "

.*ೃ༄
╰┈➤ "𝒀𝒂𝒏𝒒𝒊𝒏𝒈, hand me my handkerchief."

The boy obediently reached for the cloth, his fingers moving deftly as he handed it to me. I wiped away the beads of sweat forming on my temple before placing it back onto the counter.

"My hammer," I said, extending my open palm, and Yanqing carefully set the tool on it.

With a resounding slam, I worked the metal, feeling the warmth of exertion and perspiration forming on my forehead once more.

"Could you—" Yet my sentence was stopped, Yanqing didn't need my prompt; he was already there, wiping away the moisture for me.

"Well, it seems you've mastered every detail of being my helper," I remarked with a soft chuckle.

"It's the least I can do for you—after all, you've made more swords for me than I've broken at this point."

I laughed once again.

There was a bout of silence after that, as neither him nor I knew what else we could talk about. My focus was shifted back to the current sword I was forging, as the feeling of Yanqing's watchful eyes fell into the background.

"You know," he finally began, breaking the companionable stillness, "I'm constantly amazed by your dedication and craftsmanship. Each weapon you create carries a piece of your spirit within it."

I paused for a moment, my hammer hovering over the blade. "It's an art that's been passed down through generations. I couldn't have done it without the guidance of my ancestors."

The young boy grinned playfully. "Well, they've certainly taught you well. I'm almost jealous of those before me. They get to carry a piece of you with them."

I chuckled, appreciating the sentiment. "But you, have the honor of being the only one to witness the entire forging—not to mention aiding me in the process."

Yanqing's eyes twinkled mischievously, and he stepped even closer, "That's true. I suppose I'm the privileged one."

My body turned to him, a soft smile on my face.

"I want to thank you, actually—for keeping me company, that is."

The swordsman seemed stunned for moment, it wasn't often that I offered a sincere gratitude as I did. He cleared his throat, voice lowered as he cast his eyes downward.

"No...thank you, for always being here."

╰┈➤ UNEDITED

Original publication: 09

Original publication: 09.17.2023