New Challengers(3)

Ark Of Knowledge

In the aftermath of the chaotic events at the Ark of Knowledge, Gustang remained surprisingly composed, his anger simmering beneath a facade of calmness. His sharp eyes scanned the scene of devastation, taking in the lifeless bodies and the sense of disorder that now enveloped the once meticulously controlled space.

Matte's death had clearly not been part of the plan, and the disappearance of Tiara only added to the growing list of unexpected developments. Gustang's lips curled into a faint, sardonic smile as he pondered the situation.

"It seems that chaos has a way of finding its path," Gustang mused, his voice carrying an eerie serenity. "But chaos can be... informative."

He knew that something significant had transpired during his brief absence, something beyond the mere clash between Baam and Traumerei. Gustang's intellect was always several steps ahead, and he had a knack for turning chaos to his advantage.

Gustang's gaze fell upon a trembling member of the Ark of Knowledge's research team, a survivor amidst the chaos. His voice remained eerily calm as he addressed the individual, his tone carrying a hint of curiosity.

"You needn't apologize for the protection of knowledge, my dear scholar," Gustang said, his words measured and deliberate. "It appears something... unforeseen has transpired. Tell me, what happened here?"

The researcher swallowed hard, fear still etched across their face. "It was... the melody," they stammered. "A haunting tune that echoed through the Ark. It was as if it came from nowhere, and the moment it reached our ears, people started... dying."

Gustang's expression remained stoic, but his curiosity deepened. "A haunting tune," he repeated, as if testing the words. "Tell me more. What did it sound like? And what happened next?"

The researcher hesitated before describing the eerie melody, a tune that sent shivers down their spine even as they spoke of it. "It was like a mournful dirge, sir. It felt... otherworldly. And as soon as it began, people began to collapse, life draining from them."

Gustang's mind raced with possibilities, his intellect working to piece together the puzzle. "I see," he murmured. "Thank you for your information. Now, remain here. I have matters to attend to."

As the haunting tune played once again, recognition dawned on Gustang's face, but disbelief held him momentarily captive. It couldn't be, he thought. Yet, the familiarity of that melody was undeniable, a haunting echo from a past he'd rather forget.

He followed the tune, his footsteps echoing through the desolation of the Ark of Knowledge. What he found at the source of the mournful melody left him aghast. A mountain of dead scholars, their lifeless eyes staring into nothingness, their pursuit of knowledge extinguished in an instant.

Atop the gruesome mound stood a boy, no older than a teenager, clutching a flute in his hands. The boy's eyes met Gustang's, and there was an unsettling calmness in that gaze. Gustang recognized the flute – an artifact of immense power, one he had encountered in his distant past.

But before Gustang could utter a word, Bellerir, his loyal son, rushed in, a look of shock and dismay on his face.

"Father Gustang," Bellerir gasped, "The entire library, it's been burnt down to shreds. The knowledge, the records, all gone."

Gustang's expression remained composed, but a storm of emotions raged within him. The destruction of the library was a devastating blow, and the boy with the flute held the key to this catastrophe.

Turning his attention back to the enigmatic youth, Gustang's voice held a chilling undertone. "Who are you, and what have you done?"

Gustang's reaction was swift and precise. As the haunting melody once again emanated from the boy's flute, he unleashed a surge of shinsu, his power manifesting as an ethereal tempest. The two forces clashed in a titanic battle of sound and energy.