II. Me and you

Back at home, I recounted the whole adventure to my sister over the phone. She had gone to Korea for an internship.

"It could have been you! How did the ceiling collapse? And why did no one else hear it except you? Can you imagine if you hadn't been there? He would have died for no reason just because he visited an exhibition. It's fate."

"But you don't know the best part. He's Korean."

"No way! What's his name? How old is he?"

"He's unconscious, dummy. I just read his insurance card to help the police identify him. He's four years older than me, and his name is Lee Rowoon."

"And is he handsome?"

"He was covered in plaster and dust, poor guy, with a big bruise and an open wound on his head. I can't say. I just feel sorry for him."

"You've been an amazing sister. I'm proud of you. Weren't you scared? What if he had died before the paramedics arrived? Do you realize that?"

"Yes, I realize now that it could have gone south, but what can you do? It was stronger than me. I just reacted to someone who wasn't breathing and whose heart had stopped."

"I'm really proud of you. You're fearless but brave. And now?"

"I'm going to visit him. He's all alone, poor guy. Imagine if he wakes up, he won't understand anything that's happening to him."

"But you have exams. You need to study."

"I can do it in his room. He can't speak."

"Indeed, poor guy, if only he knew. Keep me updated on the sleeping beauty's adventures."

"I didn't say he was handsome. I don't know, to be honest."

"Send me a photo."

"You're crazy. How could I take a photo of someone unconscious? Well, I'll let you go."

The next day, I organized my schedule so I could be at the hospital all day. The nurses knew who I was and didn't mind. I had the idea of recording an audio message in Korean where I briefly explained the accident and his condition, as well as the fact that his family would be arriving soon. I asked the nurses to pass it on and let him listen to it if he woke up at night and they couldn't communicate with him.

I settled in a chair next to his bed. At least he didn't need artificial respiration. It looked like he was peacefully sleeping. Now, I could look at him more closely.

He was more than handsome; he looked like one of those kings from the Joseon era. Perfect skin, slightly severe features, short black hair, with long and slender fingers. I could see his veins through his skin, and when I gave him CPR, I could feel that his chest was well-muscled. He had slight spasms, and I held one of his hands to soothe him.

"You'll be okay, don't worry. You're in the hospital, but you were lucky. You can wake up. But if you're not ready, take your time. I'll be here; I won't leave you alone."

The spasms subsided. I had the idea to play some soft music in the background. I chose Debussy's "Clair de Lune" and other instrumental pieces from my playlist and focused on my studies.

The evening came quickly, and my stomach rumbled with hunger. I had been productive and had worked well in his presence. The doctor came by and assured me that the brain scan was normal.

"Did you hear that?" I said to him in Korean. "Your brain is intact, and your bruise is already healing. Did you like the music? Do you want to hear more?"

I knew he couldn't respond. But I also knew that even patients in a deep coma could perceive what was happening around them, and it was crucial to talk to them. I decided to grab a sandwich and keep him company a bit longer. I updated my recording with the latest medical information and wished him a good night.

The next day, I had my first exam in the morning. Turning off my phone was torture because I was afraid he might wake up in my absence, and I wouldn't be alerted. I rushed to the hospital as soon as my exam was over. On the way, I bought a bouquet of flowers to brighten up his room.

He was still there. His beard was starting to grow, and his cheeks had regained some color. A physiotherapist arrived to massage him to prevent too much muscle loss. I stepped out out of respect, even though I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see the rest of his body.

My sister would call me all sorts of names if I confessed such a thing. I should be ashamed.

Iana, you're here to help him recover, not to look at him. Who knows, he might already be in a relationship. Then again, no one had inquired about him except the consulate, and I couldn't imagine a wife or girlfriend not asking for updates every day. Unless they didn't speak the language and relied on the consulate.

"Are you alone?" I asked. "I don't wish it for you. You deserve to be loved. You were traveling alone anyway. I hope you weren't too unhappy. For my part, I don't like to travel alone. You know, I am really grateful. Thanks to you, I studied well yesterday, and my exam went really well today. Since I planned to rest today, I'll keep you company. How about listening to a story?"

I had gone to the library of the Korean Cultural Center and had chosen three books. I started by reading Korean poems. It was raining outside, and the atmosphere was right. They were love poems. I looked at him. He was still peacefully sleeping. On a whim, I gave him a kiss on his right cheek and wished him a good night.