Chapter three

It let her go. Amaya pulled herself to her feet. She stood all alone in the darkness of the Whispering Forest. She was looking around, aware of the danger lurking in the shadows. She didn't see anything. Only shadows and darkness. The cries of dying soldiers could be heard in the distance, but they were too far away. She didn't even see a glimmer of light. The cracking of branches and dry leaves told her that she was not so completely alone.

And there it was. Right there. The ghost stood directly in front of her, towering over her like a mighty veil of darkness. She felt its freezing coldness. Chill went down her spine by its presence. Amaya rolled up her sleeves and showed the ghost her signs.

"You know me," she comforted him with a gentle voice. "You know who I am. You know I won't hurt you. I'm not a threat."

The ghost came even closer to her until she felt like it was almost going to swallow her up. She didn't budge. She didn't even flinch. She felt its cool breath on her face. Its low growl resonated through her body.

"See?" she showed it her marks. "You know who I am. I know your master."

"Amaya." the ghost whispered almost inaudibly.

The darkness was illuminated by bright light. The frost was replaced by heat. The ghost fled with an ear-splitting wail. Prince Ciaran offered Amaya a hand, which she hesitated to accept. Not because she wanted to run away and get lost in the darkness of the Whispering Forest, but because she was hypnotized by the moment.

"Come!"

Prince Ciaran's voice snapped Amaya out of her daydream. She took his hand in hers and mounted behind him on the horse. The prince handed her the torch and firmly gripped the reins in both hands.

"Hold tight!" he told her.

Amaya gripped around his waist tightly with her free hand. She clung to him, even though it was against her will and nature. Her heart was wildly racing. She felt every beat of her heart throughout her body. It deafened her like the sound of bells. Her breath trembled. The prince urged his horse to run. They sped through the forest immersed in darkness. The wind blew in their hair. They sped away from there. Ghosts followed at their heels.

"Where's Zariah?" Amaya asked the prince, worrying about the high priestess.

"She is with General Marcellus," he replied.

There was already a faint line of light rising from above the distant horizon when they finally reached the shore. The Whispering Forest reached its edge. The sea revealed itself before them. Sharp rocks rose from the cold northern waters. The sound of waves lapping the shore filled the air. A fresh breeze blew. They looked behind them at the forest, the ghosts remained in it. That impenetrable darkness could be seen winding between the bodies of the trees standing at attention, but it did not pursue them.

"What happened, Your Highness?" asked the soldier who was supposed to be waiting for them.

They were supposed to be back before sunset and instead didn't come back until dawn. Their faces were filled with horror from what they had witnessed. Dark creatures are real. Out of a hundred and fifty men, barely ten returned. Those who survived could be glad that they were still breathing. Their clothes were torn and soaked in blood. They were hurt by ghosts trying to kill them. They will forever carry in their minds the memories of the friends they were unable to save. So much blood. Red oceans. Bodies torn apart beyond recognition. It was a massacre.

"There have been minor unforeseen surprises," said the prince.

A surprise in the form of Amaya, a girl blessed by the gods and bride of King Damon, who is not at all what he expected. And a surprise in the form of ghosts that unexpectedly attacked them and they had no way to defend themselves against them. It should have been a simple task; they sneak into Amorite, kidnap Amaya and return to Deira undetected. However, their own naivety complicated everything. They greatly underestimated the dangers of the country there.