➤ 104th training corps ii.

𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐒 back on the balancing gear. If he couldn't do it, he wouldn't pass to be a soldier. Out of the corner of his eye, Eren saw Milo giving him a thumbs-up and a small smile. This brought him some form of comfort and courage as he returned the smile.

"Eren Yeager...Are you ready?" Shadis asked. "Control of the vertical maneuvering gear is the bare minimum required to be a soldier. If you can't do that, you're going back to the settlement...understand?"

"Yes sir!"

Shadis nodded towards one of the recruits to start lifting him. "Begin."

Milo watched in amazement. Eren did it! He didn't fall! Milo chuckled at Eren's happy face, but the happiness only lasted for a while when Eren suddenly fell backward. Even Bertholdt and Reiner frowned at the sight.

Eren's eyes widened, immediately pleading with Shadis. "W...Wait!...!"

"Get him down," Shadis commanded.

"N-Not yet...! I can-"

"Bring him down, now."

The recruit did as told and unhooked the belts from Eren's waist. He sat on the floor in agony and pain. Numerous questions flooded his mind.

"Wagner."

"Yes, sir!"

"Trade belts with Yeager."

When he traded belts with him and lifted Eren into the air, Eren found that it was suddenly much easier. Milo was a bit confused, but happy for the brown-haired male nonetheless.

"I don't understand..." Eren was surprised at his control of the gear.

"Defective equipment."

'Ah, so that's what it was...!' Milo smiled. Half of him was glad that Eren wouldn't be getting sent back to the settlements.

"The metal fitting in the belt you were using was broken. Normally, you're suspended from the waist, so even if you flip over, you shouldn't be able to hit the ground."

"Huh?" Eren couldn't believe what he was hearing. He busted his ass and embarrassed himself several times all because of the damaged equipment?

"I've never heard of one of these breakings before...But you'll need to have a little maintenance done on your equipment."

"Then my aptitude score..."

"No problem...keep practicing."

Eren pumped his fist in the cheering in his mind as he briefly glanced over at Mikasa before staring at Milo with an unreadable expression. Was it...relief? Relief of what?

"It looks like he's getting it." Reiner smiled, along with Bertholdt.

"I knew he could do it! Go Eren!!" Milo laughed. This seemed to boost Eren's pride even more as his smile grew on his face.

"His eyes are saying, 'What'd you think of this?!'"

"Wrong." Mikasa smiled affectionately. "He's relieved because now he won't have to be separated from me..."

Milo, Armin, Reiner, and Bertholdt stared at her like she was crazy. Meanwhile, Mikasa kept staring and smiling at Eren.

"What do you mean by that, Mikasa?" Milo asked, now appearing by her side. "Are you two perhaps together~?" He teased.

Mikasa immediately shut the idea off. "No." She firmly stated. "He's my brother. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Mikasa's real protective over him," Armin whispered in Milo's ear.