Chapter 1 - The Lost Friend

These are supposed to be my school holidays where I rest and not run errands all over town like a headless chicken. If only my mom got the memo but knowing that woman, even if the president delivered it, shed defy it. I look at the time and the bus is very late as usual; this time by 30 minutes. I adjust my headphones and thank the heavens I decided against leaving my phone behind, more for the sole reason that that woman will keep calling me to add into my already full cart. Fellow villagers pass by and the occasional hellos are exchanged. After an hour, the bus finally graces us with its old gracious self. The seats are worn out and the entire bus is dusty both inside and out. I find an empty seat at the back. My village is the second stop to too many more villages the bus reaches. Seating in front is never a good idea for this 2 hour ride to town; it gets too crowded and too loud because others are just using it to get to the neighboring villages. So, by the time we get to town, its near empty and peaceful with occasional laughs there and there.

My first stop is Shoprite's money market and oh man the queue is ridiculous as always but I have no choice but to stand there because firstly, I have programs to watch on DSTV and most importantly I don't wanna be disowned by my mom. I get to the front in about 45 minutes, pay the accounts and mentally check that off my ever long list. As I exit the shop to walk to the other side of town to pay bills at Jet, I bump into someone.

"Sorry." Looking more closely, the stranger is Langa.

"Celiwe!" He is also surprised.

"Ncesi, I didn't see you." Where we come into contact again he is stinging cold. "Haibo! How is it that you're wearing a jersey in September yet you're stone cold?"

He zips his jersey all the way up, puts his hands inside the pockets, "Ucalile. I am not cold, warm actually and the jersey is for umswenko Celi" He twirls; typical Langa.

Langa and I grew up together, went to the same primary and even the first years of high school. He only changed schools this year when we went to grade 11 after his stepfather won the lottery and we lost touch. We hardly see each other since the move but we do bump into each other occasionally. He is the only one who calls me Celi and I asked him to stop which made him more resilient so I ended up giving up.

"Where are you going vele? Arent you supposed to be curled up in front of the TV?"

That question makes me puff and roll my eyes. Mothers; "I'm off to pay bills, buy things, basically child abuse activities."

He laughs, he knows my mother better than most." Seeing as you'll end up bumping into walls if you keep walking away and I'm bored; I'll walk and run errands with you. That'll please your mom when she hears about it."

I always enjoy myself whenever I'm around him and having someone to talk to will do me good so I don't reject the offer. I drag him from one shop to the other free of any objections or complaints. By the time we run the last errand my feet are tired and tummy growling.

"Lets grab food and check out one of my favorite spot. You'll love it."

Seeing as its not that late and the bus back home will leave in an hour I don't have a reason to object. When we get to KFC, he looks at me dead in the eye, " I don't have any money on me." I make a hah sound but seeing as he sacrificed his time to help me out, I'll take this as me paying him back. "Ungajwayeli; you're the one with a rich dad now." I pretend to be annoyed to which he just smiles his hypnotizing smile. I proceed "What do you want?"

He responds "I'm actually not hungry but you should get the street wise 3 and an extra bottle of water. Don't argue you'll need it." What's with the riddles? I'm about to ask when they yell 'next.'

We walk a further 15 minutes away from town and I take a few sips of the water he suggested I get. This is a mini hike.

"You were right, I needed the water.' Turning to face him while we keep going up this hill.