EXTENDED SUMMARY

Mirabel Rhodes and JJ Maybank were one and the same, truly.

No one would have suspected it. The auspicious girl and the tainted boy. Shining Golden and Black Matte. Two opposite sides of the same coin.

The fragmented pieces that hold them together were billions and one equally.

Mirabel Rhodes, IT girl of the Outer Banks was unlovable. At least that was the consensus between the islanders. The sun-kissed goddess had a bit of a reputation for being a cold-hearted cunt. Her big doe eyes and heart-shaped lips were the perfect façade to trick anyone, but let it be known, Mirabel was heartless.

Mirabel was tired of being perfect; Skincare in the morning, fasting and ice cubes on swollen closed eyes, shiny lip gloss on her pink lips, white teeth and long blonde hair, mani-pedis and exercising whenever she was not studying. Evenings spent trying to be worthy of the standards drawn by her mother had driven her to commit unspeakable crimes to her body. Torturous hazel orbs following the line of her body, full belly filled with water and chipped fingernails who pointed the blame towards herself. Late nights spent learning and worrying, her future looked bleak and numb in spite of everyone speculating otherwise.

Cherry lollipops, unmet expectations, a Taylor Swift playlist, perfect skin and an eating disorder, that was all Mirabel Rhodes was. 

There was only one soul who could wash away the life-long ache. The contagious sickness that was quickly taking hold of her. And it was just a boy.

Jesse-James "JJ" Maybank, the player of the Outer Banks was unlovable. At least that was the consensus between the islanders. His golden locks and indigo eyes were the only parts worthy of redemption. His reputation of using and discarding tourons was well-known and his reckless attitude towards life had driven him to a point of no-return.

Dead-beat father and well-known bruises scattered around his body like tattoos, never really disappearing. A sixth-sense developing for danger and blood. Joints and alcohol to taste the sweet relief of nothingness. Meaningless one-night stands to seek something other than pain, always with one name at the tip of his tongue.

JJ Maybank was tired of being damaged. He remembers the first time his father struck him, only seven years old, the first slap that now he would welcome over the kicks and punches, that rapid sting that disappeared after a few moments. Life expectations of nothing but two dollars in his pocket and dying alone at a young age. The truth was, Jesse-James Maybank did not know what happiness was, not unless he was in the company of a certain Kook.

Who could have guessed? JJ Maybank is utterly in love with what he considered to be the worst kind on the planet Earth. But the truth was, Mirabel Rhodes was just too damn irresistible.

Mirabel had met JJ when they were both little, at the age of seven to be quite specific. Childhood sweethearts, forbidden love and all that. The Modern Age Romeo and Juliet. The damaged boy had fallen irrevocably in love the minute mini Mirabel had demanded John B and JJ play dolls with her. She had ordered it with such an attitude that the two quick-witted boys could not have denied her request. John B had tried to reject her but JJ had elbowed his brunette friend and gave him the deadliest look he could muster at his young age. He recalls the anger washing away from her face when he had emitted a confident nod and a big smile that showed two missing teeth.

That was the beginning of the two lovers. 

In the years to come, their love will only grow and mature with them, exploring new beginnings and facing endings together. Puppy love and its consequences be damned. JJ will make Mirabel finally breathe. Mirabel will be JJ's peace. 

This summer, everything changes, the two lovers determine.

Hiding feelings is just more complicated when you are treasure hunting. 

WARNINGS.

- This book will contain sexual scenes and mature language.

- Violence and blood will be mentioned.

- Eating disorder discourse/scenes and body dysmorphia.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi there! So um, inspiration hit one day and I have decided to finally write this thing here, I have so many plans for Mirabel and JJ, I'll try and make this somewhat original while also following the plot line because I'm kinda tired of reading the same fanfic all the time in this platform thank you very much! I hope you all like Mirabel because she is my little bean and no Mirabel slander will be tolerated. Let me know your thoughts, please! 

I will not tolerate any kind of racist, homophobic, misogynistic comments. English is not my first language so kindly critique, thank you!