Chapter 13- Bigger Than The Whole Sky

Evelyn Keaton hates the way she cries. Sure, she already hates everything about her and spends tons of nights crying while thinking about her body and her face, but she thinks nothing about herself is uglier than the way she cries. She hates how her teeth aren't perfectly straight or white, how her face isn't perfectly clear has always has at least one stubborn pimple on it, her nose it too big and the hook of it angers her to no ends, and she hates how "manly" the muscles on her body are.

But she hates nothing more than how she cries. It's ugly. It's so fucking ugly. Her face turned a bright red to the point where it seemed like she endlessly beat her face with blush that morning. Her frown was unusual and contorted in ways that made her look like a newborn baby. No matter how hard she tried to stop it there would always be a bit of snot dripping from her nose the harder she cried.

And yet no matter how hard Eve cried and how desperately she wanted it to stop and push it down, Eve couldn't stop herself from turning around. The sight in front of her would forever be tattooed in her brain. Charlie laid on the ground, ghostly pale with his eyes wide open. Ellie stood above him motionlessly staring at his unresponsive body. Eve couldn't even stop her legs from walking to her best friend's body and falling to her knees in front of it. "Charlie?" Eve choked out, mucus and a knot clogging her throat slightly. "Charlie, wake up."

Ellie's attention shifted from the faintest smile on what used to be her father's lips to the crying girl before her."Eve..." Saying this pained Ellie, but there was nothing that could save Charlie now. He had done it; he was dead. Charlie knew he couldn't improve himself, and that fateful night in the apartment where he first met Thomas made it absolutely clear. But the man wasn't going to go down quietly; it wasn't like him.. So instead he did something crazy... he shortened his life in order to save his daughter's. Since Charlie couldn't better himself and improve his own life, he did everything in his power to better Ellie, so she could live her own life in pure and utter happiness.

"No... He can't be." Eve reached her arms around his body in an impulsive movement, just wanting to be as close as she could to the man who had shown her all the love she had missed over the years. Charlie hadn't been dead long but he already felt colder than normal and the sweat from when he was still alive still covered his skin. But Eve couldn't care less, she clung onto him with everything she had. "He's not gone. He promised."

A slightly younger and less muscular version of Eve sat in a chair that she had sat in so much Charlie and Liz were constantly joking it was hers. "Charlie." She said, gaining the man's attention from the papers he was grading. "Yeah?"

"What's it like to get married?" She asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice.

"Well... I'm not exactly the best person to ask but, it's amazing. To this day I still consider it one of the best moments of my life." Every single word of what Charlie said was true. Even if his marriage didn't work out and he turned out to be gay the entire time he still loved his bride. "Why?"

Eve shrugged, "I don't know, just the thought of it scares me. I mean, you're giving your life to someone."

"Well," Charlie nodded, "If it'll make you feel any better I'll be there. I don't think I can walk you down the aisle but I can definitely throw some petals"

Eve smiled, the thought of Charlie somehow attending her wedding sending a warm feeling to fill up her body, "It does make me feel better."

The Keaton girl never believed in God or the existence of a higher power. But as she hunched over the body of her best friend she prayed for something or someone to use their "powers" or whatever the hell they had to perform a miracle and bring her best friend back to life.