Saving Grace

This was an entry to AmbassadorsPH's September 2023 Write-A-Thon challenge.

Saving Grace is also loosely connected to my Novella, Go Against Destiny. It's a mini backstory of the main character, JP.

Prompt: Write a flash fiction (200-300 words) with these three elements -- grandparents, Christmas song, school

Various colors of fairy lights twinkled from the backdrop, illuminating the second-graders on the stage. Small, out-of-tune voices filled the area with the lyrics of O Little Town of Bethlehem. Despite the lack of synchronization, the children's enthusiasm made the show a delight to watch.

Cameras flashed from the audience. Wide smiles graced the people's lips as they feasted their eyes and ears on the young students' performance.

Proud parents, they mostly were.

Yet, none of them were his.

The seven-year-old boy in the first row lowered his head, gripping the bottom part of his angel costume. His mouth moved with each line of the song, but he failed to produce any sound.

This was the reason why school events never made young JP excited. While it was a chance for his classmates to show off to their mamas and papas, it only served as a reminder that his own parents didn't like him one bit.

He pursed his trembling lips as he remembered his mother's hateful remark when she had seen his costume the other day. "An angel? A spawn of a devil like you?"

Looking back at the crowd, his gaze fell on a familiar figure at the back. An old woman clapped and fixed the little boy with an affectionate stare.

Wide-eyed, young JP paused for a second before his face broke into a grin, his earlier sadness slipping away at the sight of his number one supporter. The next moment, he found himself singing his heart out to make sure it reached his grandmother.

After the presentation, Granny congratulated her favorite boy with a hearty meal and told him funny stories about Grampa. As the song Silent Night played in the background, little JP thought, 'Maybe school events are not bad after all.'

☆ ☆ ☆

☆ ☆ ☆