Night Patrol w/ Ghost

You were a person of routine, rarely ever swaying. Your nightly patrol was quiet as usual, with the silence of the cool winter night only being disrupted with quick breezes. The solitude of the dark air bringing you much needed solace. You slowly pace just outside the cream colored base walls, nodding to the soldiers you pass along the way until you reach the moment you longed for each night.

The sight of the tall muscular masked man who stood near the fire pit, lighting his cigarette with his mask rolled to the end of his nose. The urge to walk over was always intense but never sought out, resorting to watching, being intrigued by his mystery. "What would you even say?" I mutter to myself peeking through my lashes. The panic of stepping out of my routine was nerve wrecking but the thought of replaying everyday the same way was wearing on my mental stability. I wanted; no needed something different for once.

Ghost and I have been on missions before and although I was never directly under his command, I always tried to stay close to his unit wishing I could be apart of it. It usually just ends with me getting chewed out by my own superior for insubordination.  _it's worth it_ the things Ghost has seen in his life would be far more valuable than anything my own superior could ever offer.

I watch the flames from the fire illuminate the surrounding area, light dancing against the leaves turning them mustard in color. There stood a seemingly dark soul inside a ball of light. It was a risk to be seen with him so late at night and outside of base, but something in me was aching for a new venture. I stray off my usual path heading down towards the illuminated area. My heart racing, taking subtle glances back at the large cream walls that separated us from rules and regulations  and freedom of the outside world.

"Hey, got an extra?" I nod in a greeting with our eyes meeting for the first time in months. His emotionless expression turns mine from one of content to one of uncertainty. Ghost reached into his front pocket tapping out a stick from the fresh pack and handed it to me. I lean forward wrapping my lips around the cigarette watching the fabric of his glove graze against the gear of the lighter shooting sparks until a calm flame arises burning the white paper. I take a deep drag filling my lungs moving to stand next to him with a decent amount of space between us.

I gaze out into the dark abyss of the night forest before us deep in thought. The anxiety from earlier had passed, I had done something out of character for once and was enjoying every minute, no matter how small. "Do you come out here often?" A question I already knew the answer to. I was met with a single nod with the light of the fire dancing a crossed his exposed lips. I was expecting an actual answer but maybe that was expecting to much.

I contemplated saying anything else. But with the silence becoming more deafening than usual I break the silence again. "Do you enjoy the being out here?" A good question I thought, I suppose he could just nod again though. "I do." His British accent protruding with such a simple answer. "I find plenty solace in the silence it brings." I add tilting my head back to look at the night sky taking another drag.

"I quite enjoy the silence as well." I don't meet his gaze although I can feel his eyes on me. "I hope I'm not intruding." I say softly hoping for disagreement and I'm met with just that. "Your not." Hearing him exhale smoke from his lungs I fight the urge to smile tilting my head forward to catch his quick gaze of my frame. I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't find Ghost attractive, my obsession with British men emerging from him alone.

Sadly I was one of many, his popularity amongst the women at base skyrocketed as soon has he stepped off the helipad. I roll my eyes at the foolish jealousy that boiled within me. "You alright over there?" He asked breaking me out of my trance. "Yea.. just-" I exhale. "Just thinking." I added being met with his subtle nod. "Are you always this serious?" The words coming out before I could stop them. Ghost made a sound that seemed like a chuckle. "Not always." The corners of his lips curling slightly.