Chapter 37

Once they arrived at the cabin, everything looked the same as they left it, making Jasmine sigh with relief. No aliens surrounded the place, no signals or anything like that, just the children playing their game.

However, her joy was short-lived as the pain she had done her best to suppress while they traveled back to the cabin returned with a vengeance. It was as if all there was, all she could focus on was the aching.

"Jasmine! You are back!" Arman and Ariyana exclaimed at the same time, running toward her motionless figure.

"Easy there, munchkins," Asher said, catching both children under his arms. "Jasmine has been injured, so we need to be careful not to cause her any additional pain."

"What happened? Did you run very fast and then fall down and hurt yourself?" Ariyana asked innocently.

From how she said it, with a painful grimace on her face, Jasmine could tell that those types of things happened a lot to the little girl, so it was something that she could sympathize with. It was also a good enough excuse that would avoid scaring the children even more than they already were.

"Yes, that's exactly what happened," Jasmine said, trying to keep her voice steady.

She wanted to focus only on her pain but knew that would be selfish. It was necessary to make sure that the little girl was okay.

"It happens to me all the time," Ariyana said energetically. "I trip on rocks and stuff all the time. And my knees bleed, but Daddy always makes it better."

"You trip on your own feet," Arman said mockingly. "Sometimes you even trip on nothing at all."

"Daddy, he is making fun of me again," Ariyana said sulkily. "Tell him to stop!"

"Alright, you two, stop it right now," Asher said sternly, seeing Jasmine's jaw tighten in pain. "You must be on your best behavior now while I help Jasmine treat the wound."

"Will you kiss the boo-boo and make it better?" Ariyana asked inquisitively, looking up at him with her big eyes.

Upon hearing that innocent comment, Jasmine blushed from head to toe, uncertain why she was so embarrassed. It could have been because she had such a vivid imagination and could imagine the scene perfectly. And not only that, she could see herself not disliking the contact.

In general, Jasmine was a person who detested physical contact, especially with strangers. However, there was something about Asher that made her feel comfortable, that made her feel safe.

Therefore, touching him didn't sound so undesirable to her. It was quite the opposite, which was a startling realization in itself but mixed with the excruciating pain she was experiencing, everything was so much more confusing. How could she even think about those things when everything she knew was gone, and she was shot a short time ago?

Yet, her hyperactive brain refused to settle on just one train of thought and continued torturing her with sensations and emotions she couldn't explain, mixed with large doses of ache that made everything so much worse.

"Come on, Ari, let's go find Isaac on his tree," Arman said when the awkward silence that followed her previous words stretched for so long that even he realized something was off and that it would be wise to leave. "I am sure Dad will give Jasmine the medicine she needs."

The moment the children left; Asher helped Jasmine to her feet while she let out a painful yelp she couldn't hold in anymore.

"Are you okay?" Asher asked nervously. "Do you need me to carry you up the steps?"

"I am fine," Jasmine said, not wanting to make Asher uncomfortable. "Let me just lean on you, and I'll be able to do these few steps easily."

Soon, Asher helped Jasmine into the room, helping her lower herself on the bed, careful not to agitate the painful leg too much.