PROLOGUE: GOODBYE

Prologue: Goodbye

Prologue: Goodbye

***

*note: for increased sadness, listen to Goodbye above at the second half of this*

The day the world ended for Jia Leung started off just like any other day for her and her crew, the Tiderunner Pirates.

She sat on a barrel, legs swinging back and forth as on the deck, the first mate sparred with his adoptive daughter and protege, the girls Jia saw as her sisters—Maia Kyrov and Alyss Darroway. Maia duelled with her father with a wooden sword, while Alyss was quicksilver with her duel knives, and yet despite two opponents and Alyss' knives, Misha Kyrov fought with ease, the sword in his hand like an extension of his body as he easily fended off Maia and Alyss, a smile on his face as blocked and parried their blows. Sweat gleamed on his forehead, but it was the only sign of him tiring—and even then, it was nothing compared to the sweat slicking Maia's and Alyss' skin, their tied-back hair not able to keep the strands escaping and framing their heads like halos, their heavy breathing. But still they fought, and it was like a dance to young Jia how her sister-figures and father-figure sparred, feet flying across the worn wood of the deck, weapons flashing in the warm sunlight. And though the crew was supposed to make sure the Hurricane kept sailing, most had stopped to watch the fight.

It ended how Jia expected it would—Misha catching Alyss in her weak leg with the flat of his sword and then placing it against Maia's throat. All three panted before Misha lowered his sword, a smile full of pride on his face.

"You fought well," he said as he sheathed his sword. "A minute longer and you might have defeated me."

"You went easy on us, old man!" Alyss accused, but she was smiling as was Maia, beaming at the compliment her adoptive father had given her.

"When have I ever gone easy on you two? That defeats the purpose of training you," Misha argued, grinning as he stuck his hand out. Alyss took it as Maia lowered her sword, eyes sparkling as she asked, "Did I really nearly beat you, Da?"

"Yes, my little barnacle. You nearly did," Misha said, pulling Maia in a side-hug as she shrieked, "Don't call me that!", but she was still smiling, the wind lifting the ends of her curls held back by her bandanna.

Jia grinned as she hopped off the barrel, running up to Maia and Alyss and yelling, "You were amazing! You were like stab-stab and you were like swoosh-stab and you were so fast!"

She mimed the gestures and movements as best as she could, which was a clumsy attempt, yet Misha still laughed good-naturedly and ruffled Jia's hair, making flyaways stick up in her own dark halo.

"Glad to have an audience. Now, I think the captain wanted you to check the rigging. Right, Jia?" Misha asked, a brow arched.

Jia pouted. "Do I have to?"