𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓: 𝐅𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐌𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

As the moments dragged on in the veterinary clinic, anxiety wrapped its unforgiving grip around my heart. Each tick of the clock seemed to echo in the sterile room, amplifying the dread that coiled within me. I yearned for good news, a flicker of hope to cling to amidst the fear that gnawed at my soul.

Finally, a seasoned veterinarian entered the room, her expression sombre and eyes reflecting the weight of her words. I braced myself, my heart already pounding with a mixture of fear and desperate hope. In that tense moment, I found solace in a shard of hope, praying for a miracle.

"I'm sorry for your loss," she began, her words like a jagged blade tearing through the fraying fabric of my hope. It felt as if the world had momentarily stopped, the air thick with sorrow. The dreaded reality began to crystallise before me, and the pain threatened to consume every fibre of my being.

"We did the best we could," she continued her voice gentle yet carrying the weight of finality. "But there was a lot of blood lost." At that point I just tuned out whatever else she was saying, I couldn't believe she died. We were all having a good time before, running around and having fun, but now she is gone forever. I'll never be able to see her again. I'm so sorry Ruby, I'm so so sorry.

I'm glad you're in a safe space now, but it is not with me, not me cuddling you with my arms to keep you safe and warm. But I guess that didn't go well since you're now gone... forever. I wonder if it would have been a different experience if only I was quick enough to catch you in time, so instead of you getting hit it would have been me.

I'm so sorry Ruby, I'm so so sorry.

You were My best friend.

The end.