5. The Security Tape

"Here's your coffee, darlin'." Brian said. "Just how you like it."

Tim looked up as Brian placed a mug of steaming hot coffee on his desk. He thanked him with a kiss and picked it up, gulping down the scalding liquid. It was just what he needed.

"That hit the spot," Tim sighed. "Thanks, hon."

"No problemo," Brian replied. He smiled sweetly. "How's work going?"

"Eh, the usual," Tim said with a shrug. "Just . . . fucking confusing."

Ever since Clockwork had been found with her stomach sliced open, Tim and Brian had had their work cut out for them. Tim was more stressed than usual, and Brian was having trouble helping him. The ways of the Slenderman were often incomprehensible.

"I found somethin' in my desk that might help," Brian offered. "I think the boss put it there overnight."

Tim's ears perked up as Brian put a hardrive on his desk. Tim took it and looked at it closely to see what was written on it: Sacred Heart Hospital - July 19th, 2021. The date made Tim's brow furrow in confusion. Was this a security tape?

"If this was made in July of 2021," Tim said, "then this was over nine years ago. What could this possibly have to do with what's happening now?"

"Well, you know the boss." Brian reasoned. "He always watches."

"That's true." Tim sighed. "Let's get this over with."

As Brian walked behind the desk to stand next to his husband, Tim plugged the hardrive into his computer. A glitchy video popped up, displaying footage of a small hospital room with a window that allowed sunlight to pour in. A teenage boy dressed in a hospital gown was sitting up in bed, quietly gazing out the window, looking deep in thought. He appeared to have scars etched into his pale face and hands. There was a white streak in his dark brown hair.

Suddenly, there was the sound of a door opening, and a blonde nurse entered the room, pushing a cart in front of her. She appeared to have cinched her scrubs to show off her curves. The teenage boy in the footage frowned upon seeing her.

"Morning, sweet cheeks," the nurse said in a flirtatious voice.

Tim cringed a little upon hearing that, and the young man's frown deepened.

"I told you not to call me that, Susan." the young man said sternly. His voice was low and cold, and he had the slightest British accent.

"You're my patient, I can call you what I want." the nurse - Susan - insisted as she parked her cart next to the boy's bed. "Alright, I'm just here to change out your stitches for new ones, so I'm gonna give you a sedative."

Tim and Brian exchanged looks of discomfort: both of them had immediately recognized the nurse's behavior.

The tape continued. Nurse Susan began to prepare her tools, pulling on some latex gloves and preparing a syringe. The young man watched her closely, but he didn't appear nervous at all. It seemed that he was used to this.

"Any news on my brother?" the young man inquired.

"Nope," Susan replied. "Still missing."

The young man sighed. On the other side of the screen, Tim raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, now don't look so disheartened." Susan reassured the young man. "Soon enough that brat'll be put to justice and you won't have to be afraid of him coming after you."

The young man scoffed in response. He didn't seemed to approve of her comments.

"Don't be so defensive, sweetheart," Susan went on. She filled the syringe with a sedative. "If I were in your position, I'd be cursing that little demon to hell instead of staying quiet about the whole thing. Maniacs like that shouldn't be roaming the streets, after all."

The young man appeared to tense up. His eyes widened.

"What did you just say?" he demanded. He tried to pull off a calm demeanor, but Tim could hear the fury in his voice.

Susan looked up, confused.

"Don't deny it," she said matter-of-factly. "I feel sorry that you had to grow up with that beast. I mean, who - "

Susan's nonchalant argument was cut off as the young man suddenly grabbed the syringe from her hands and stabbed it into her neck, forcing the sedative into her bloodstream. Susan fell to the floor, out cold, but the young man didn't stop there. He got out of bed and, as Tim watched the footage in shock, grabbed a pair of scissors from the tool cart and started stabbing Susan over and over again in the face, neck, and chest. Blood soaked her uniform and splashed onto the young man's hospital gown as he kept puncturing the woman's unconscious body.

Finally, the deed had been done. The young man got to his feet and stood over the nurse's corpse, taking some deep breaths: not a shred of regret was displayed on his face. He then knelt down beside her again and began talking to her as if she were still alive. His tone was calm, as if he were simply discussing the weather with her. The words he spoke sent a shiver down Tim's spine.

"You're lucky I waited this long to kill you, Susan." the teenager said. "After all, I had to wait for my wounds to heal. But I could only stand your annoying pedophilic behavior for so long." His voice became firm. "And for your information, my little brother isn't a brat, a maniac, or a demon."

Having finished his closing statement, the young man stood up and calmly headed over to the window to open it. Tim watched the footage silently as the young man fashioned a rope out of his bedsheets and threw one end out the window, tying the other end to the bedpost. He then climbed out the window and disappeared down the rope. The tape ended.

Tim was lost in thought, but he was jolted back to reality when he felt Brian's arm around his shoulder.

"You okay, honey?" Brian asked tenderly.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine," Tim stuttered. Watching that tape had reminded him of his childhood spent in a mental asylum, where he was abused at the hands of perverted doctors. He took a deep breath and decided to change the subject.

"That guy's gotta be involved in whatever's going on, or Slenderman wouldn't've sent us this tape." he said. "He's probably in kahoots with whatever spirit is haunting the territory. We need to do some research on Sacred Heart to find out who the hell he is."

Brian nodded in agreement.