Chapter 1: Move-in Day

"What are you thinking about beautiful?" Michael wondered dreadfully uncomfortable with the silence in his car, as he reluctantly drove the girlfriend he adored, more than anything in the world, toward the dumpy off-campus apartment she'd hastily decided to call home for her freshman year of college. He knew her poor choice in housing wasn't her fault, she was inexperienced with all thing's college, but he was truly concerned about the fact she'd be living with three dudes.

Kelly was every guy's crush in high school. A sweet and bubbly cheerleader, Kelly was as beautiful as she was friendly and outgoing. She was skinny and rather short with a big smile, a big bust, blue eyes, and luscious long blonde hair. Posh and pretty, Kelly dressed like the little barbie girl she aspired to be and took great pride in her colorful attention-grabbing style.

...

Part of Michael had hoped that Kelly would flip-flop on her spontaneous college ambitions and find work in their small rural Pennsylvania hometown until he graduated high school next year, like they'd originally planned. His 19-year-old sweetheart was one year older and one grade level ahead of him. However, it was the fact that she chose to attend college that made him nervous about the future of their relationship.

She'd originally applied to college for sh*ts and giggles, "Just to see if I have what it takes to get in," she'd promised... Kelly was the first member of her family to apply to college, much less nine of them, her main roadblock was application fees. She worked part time at a local diner, but never could manage to hold onto money long after she'd earned it. So, she turned to her parents for financial help. Her dad, a work-obsessed electrician by trade, wasn't supportive of Kelly's little college fantasy referring to her aspirations as, "a waste of time and money," and her mom, a receptionist at a local veterinary institute who loved animals more than people, never gave an opinion on the issue and didn't seem to really care. Her silence signaled to Kelly that she didn't think she stood much chance of getting into college.

Kelly was crushed, but like a good boyfriend Michael came to her rescue. He'd saved up some money working an apprenticeship under her father and paid her application fees himself. He even drove Kelly to the SAT testing center so she could try and get her scores up. All so Kelly could get the validation she was looking for, prove her unsupportive parents wrong and then settle in for a year of work while he finished high school so they could plan out their future together. The affection he received from his gorgeous girlfriend in return for his unwavering emotional and financial support was well worth the cost, at first.

However, when Kelly got into five of the nine schools she'd applied to, suddenly everything changed. College wasn't a joke anymore and getting in wasn't just for validation. Suddenly, Kelly actually wanted to attend college, perhaps to stick it to her parents. Michael wasn't completely sure where this strange ambition came from, after all, she had his undying love... what more could she want?

Either way, after getting in, her concern was immediate, "What do I do?? How do I decide?? How do I pay for college??"

Michael was no expert, but not wanting to be another thorn in Kelly's side, he remained supportive, thinking fast he suggested campus visits. For a few days they skipped out on high school to visit the various campuses Kelly had gotten into. They took tours, and Kelly brought a notepad so she could ask the tour-guides all the questions she could. As she frantically jotted down her notes, Kelly also took time to appreciate the beautiful architecture on every campus. However, Michael took notice of something else.

Kelly was getting a lot of attention from college guys. Too much attention.

Even though he was standing right next to her, he must have caught dozens of guys ogling her flawless figure. Kelly seemed oblivious to it all, but that was nothing new. Coming from a small town, the girl didn't exactly realize just how desirable she was. Throughout all their visits, Michael didn't come across a single girl who could hold a candle to Kelly's beautiful body.