Estrangement (Future follow up)

*This is a follow up to Katlin and her abusive parents, Harry and Yn. Here is a time leap, 7 years into the future where she and family reconnect....possibly. Told from Katlin's POV.*

A child. A pale brunette-haired child, standing against the beam of the back porch. The twinkle of noonday sun glistened through the punctuated brownish-green irises that his bangs skirted over, only shielding his eyebrows. "Matthew, lunchtime!" I called. I set one his favorite dinners out on the dining room table for him: A grilled cheese with potato chips, grapes, apple slices and a cool glass of apple juice.

"Thank you, mommy," he said, a smile extending across my face. I kissed the whisky wheat brown grain before guiding his two siblings to their seats. A nonfiction polaroid of my three children, Matthew, Joshua, and Victoria, stood in front of me as I pushed myself back toward the sink. It was Matthew who was Angus's twin, with my hair color, Josh who stood in the center; my nose, Angus's eyes, my mouth, but Angus's smile with darkened brunette color- almost of black, contrast to my honey streaks that groomed in perfectly with my brown hair color. Then there was Tori; everything about her was mine. Like my sister, Kira, my youngest has this peculiarity, but a quietness like me. She ran to her seat, sitting in between two big brothers, with her long medium brunette hair swaying delicately.

My attention traveled back over to the sink. I ran the faucet allowing one side to fill up with warm pool of water, while the soapy goo, slithered around- waiting for the faucet's direction to fill up the side into a sudsy lump. I fiddled with the loop of my wedding ring- a habit I created when it was first placed on my finger; Angus's big hand gently cupped mine, sliding the ring slowly onto my ring finger. A picturesque scene that played out over the hills of Iceland, where we vacationed. I went to the country courted and left engaged. 

In the middle of scrubbing the chunky piece of leftover macaroni out of the saucepan, the phone started blaring through the house, making me absent to fully being able to clean the dish properly. Soon after, the memo recording for a voicemail spoke. "Hey Katlin, it's Kira. I wanted to ring in and apologize for having to miss our lunch date.... but the most important thing I wanted to say was that.... Dad is sick. You know how for the past few years he's been having heart issues? Well, it's gotten worse. He had surgery on Monday, but doctors say it's just a bandage-"

"Hello? Kira?" "Katie! I'm so glad I reached you. But yeah, I don't how much you heard on the voicemail, but Dad is very sick...... I think he's dying. I just wanted to let you know, because everyone is at the hospital right now and I'm on my way myself. I know...I know you both don't get along that well.... and I understand. It was rough with him too knowing how he treated you. But, I figured this would be your chance to say goodbye.... if you want." I gulped back something I thought would be tears.... but they weren't. "Okay, thank you for telling me. I'll tell Angus and we'll take it from there..... I love you Kira,"

"I love you too, Kaitlin.... always remember that." Then silence. Next the buzz of the disconnected line. So, there it was.... Dad was dying. It couldn't be- even I had to say Dad was relatively healthy and young on top of that. Sixty wasn't an age you just go at. I would think eighty or ninety if you're lucky. I sat down on the couch, soaking in those words Kira said. "He was dying..." I swallowed hard before walking back over to the sink; rinsing it out with the last plate finished. I turned back over to the nook where the children had left, and their plates were empty. I placed them in the sink before moving back towards the phone and dialed for Angus. Three dial tones before his pickup. "Hey Kate, what's going on?" "Hey babe.... uh... I just got off the phone with Kira not too long ago and she says that my father's heart condition worsened. She doesn't think that he's going to be around much longer.... and neither do I." I could hear his sigh on the other end. "Well....... what do you want to do?" My sigh appeared on the other line.