Battle

Set one year before ALPHA SQUAD

I own none of the characters except Melody and Crimson.

This is a companion one shot to Alpha Squad Evolution
_________________________________________

I watched in awe as I saw my older cousin battle his friend. Lapras on Arcanine.

Blue was at a type disadvantage, yet despite that, he was effortlessly weaving his way through the battle. They way him and Arcanine moved was like an artform.

He and his Pokémon were perfectly in sync, something I hadn't managed to do with Honedge.

The battle raged on. Both sides attacked. Blue called out his attacks with a vibrant enthusiasm. His Arcanine responded with the same, almost as if it was one person and two bodies rather than a trainer and his Pokemon. Red, his opponent, seemed to take a much more different approach. He signalled to his Lapras. Small gestures, finger twitches, the way his head turned. Anything to not give away what his next move was to the opponent, yet staying in perfect sync with his Pokémon.

I was watching two masters at work. There was no other explanation.

I knew, the moment I saw that battle, I had to beat Blue. I had to win.

I didn't see the end of the battle. I took off, grabbing Honedge's ball and trained.

__________________________________________________________________________________
*One week later*

"Blue! I challenge you to a battle!"

"What?"

I was ready! I was sure of it! I could take him.

Blue looked at me sceptically.

"You sure about this cuz?"

"Of course! I saw your battle with Red a week ago and I knew I had to beat you! That was the only way I could be the best!"

Blue opened his mouth, like he wanted to say something but then shut it. I could see a contemplative look on his face. Eventually, he nodded.

"Sure."

"Yes!"

__________________________________________________________________________________
*30 seconds later*

Honedge was laying on the ground, still smoking from the fire blast that had struck it. Blue's Charizard yawned lazily before slumping down on the ground to take a rest.

Had I really been so easy to defeat? I voiced my question.

"Yes."

I frowned. "You're supposed to cheer me up."

He shrugged. "No sense lying to you. You're not at my level yet". I frowned. Was he mocking me?

He seemed to sense my annoyance as he quickly clarified. "You barely trained Mellie. Besides, it's not like this is a bad thing!"

"What do you mean?"

"Learn from your loss. Use it so you're never caught off guard again."

"I just wanted to be like you."

Now it was Blue's turn to be confused. "Why?"

"Why? Why not! You're amazing! You're a master! You're undefeated!"

Blue stared at me for a full five seconds before erupting into raucous laughter.

"Undefeated? You thought that? I used to lose all the time! Heck, I even lost against Red a week ago."

He'd lost that? But he was so good!

"Just because you're good doesn't mean you're perfect. No-one is."

I frowned. I didn't like that. I wanted to be better than that. I couldn't lose. I would become the greatest trainer ever!

Yeah...

That sounds good.

"Oh! Before I forget, Gramps wanted me to ask you something"

"What?"

"There's this kid, Crimson. He just got put through the foster system and Gramps offered to foster his and his older brother. He's coming to Pallet soon. He wanted to ask you to show him around."

"Sure."

"Attagirl! Anyway, I gotta go. I'm off to Cinnabar. There's a gym badge with my name on it and I'm gonna get it!"

I smirked. Gym badge? I was planning on aiming for something a little higher. I looked to the side of me and saw the advert for the Pokemon World Coronation series.

I knew what I had to do.

In a couple of seasons, the world would know my name.

There's a world championship cup with my name on it and I'm gonna get it!