Chapter 13: Old Memories

Eyes and ears alert, I tread the path as quietly as I can without losing speed.  We've chosen to travel at night which, though smart, sets me on edge.  The cold and dark remind me of my childhood.  Now I have Rell to protect as well, not to mention trying to manage it around --

     "Aiolos!  You sound like an elephant stomping along like that.  Did no one ever teach you what stealth is?  Ba!  And you call yourself a zephyr.  Pathetic!"

     "Well 'scuse me fer havin' a man's stride.  S'not like I can prance across the ground like yew, ya freakish lil' imp!"

     "How dare you!  I'll have you know that my height does not implicate the amount of power I am capable of weilding.  You seem to have the opposite problem, you great, useless oaf!"

     "You'd better back off missy.  I wouldn't want to make yer friend sad by accidentally stepping on you."

     "Why you--"

     "STOP!"

     The two jumped visibly at my sudden outburst.

     Lowering my voice I continued, "You two are being ridiculous.  Rell, you complain about Aiolos being too loud and then you start yelling.  If there were any people or hungry, wild animals within a hundred mile radius of here we would be in serious trouble right now."

     "Quin, who's side are you on?  This is really all your fault for--"

     "Let. Me. Finish."

     Rell's mouth snapped shut as she no doubt saw the frost forming in the corners of my eyes.  My mood was not usually so visible but like I said, the night time set me on edge.

     "Aiolos.  I agreed to allow you to come along with us on the condition that you would be helpful.  You have been intentionally stomping your feet to irritate Rell and goad her into an argument.  You seem to fancy yourself an adult, start acting like one."

     Glaring at them both to make sure they got the point, I turned forward and stopped abruptly.  I could sense a Named near by.  It was strange though.  Why did they not display an affinity?

     "Are we gonna git on with walking now or have ya fallen asleep on yer feet?"

     "Keep your voice down.  We are not alone."

     Rell moved swiftly and silently to my side.  "What is it Quin?"

     Closing my eyes and cocking my head to the side, I tried to hear the voices behind the door more clearly.

     Suddenly I'm falling.

     Not physically, but mentally.  Internally I was falling through the door that I had so intently pressed myself against.

     Then, just as abruptly, I am scrunched up against a tree trunk with my hands tied to my ankles.  I try to move but find I am not in control of my body.  That's when I hear it.  The named one's thoughts.

     Fear.  Anger.  Hunger.  Fear.  Terror.  Calm.  No Hope.  They'll Be Back Soon.  They'll Hurt Me Soon.  Fear.  I Shouldn't Have Left.  I SHOULDN'T HAVE LEFT.  I'm Going To Die.  God Save Me.  Someone Save Me.  Fear.  No Hope.

     My own anxiety builds as I'm bombarded by the other person's erratic thoughts.  I try to exude calm and reassurance.  I'm not really sure what's happening but now is obviously not the time to lose my cool.

     "Imagine a lake.  The sun is shining.  Your skin is warm.  There's a slight breeze that ripples the surface of the water.  Smell the fresh earth.  Feel the wind.  Savor the sun's warmth.  Listen to the soft sound of the water lapping the shore.  Be at peace.  Be calm.  Be tranquil."

     For a moment the other's mind is silent and I think they may have fallen asleep.  Then a single, quiet thought floats toward me.

     Who Are You?

     For a moment I'm speechless.  Not only am I somehow in this person's mind but now I can communicate with them as well.  Interesting.

     "My name is Quinton."

     Shock.  Fear.  Surprise.  How Are You In My Head?

     "To be honest, I'm not really sure but if we're going to help you this may work to our advantage."

     Wary.  We?  There Are More Of You?

    "Not in your head but nearby.  You didn't tell me your name."

     Suspicion.  Why Does My Name Matter? Fear.

     Sighing from exasperation and wasted time I try to explain in as short a way as possible, "Do not be afraid Named One.  We are all the same.  You cannot hide this from me.  However, right now knowing your name would help me make a plan."

     Fear.  Shock.  Relief.  Sadness.  I Have A Name But I Do Not Remember It.  Grief.  When They Caught Me The First Time They Wiped My Memory.

     The first time?  That was a question for later.  For now it would make it a tad more difficult without a fourth weilder to the mix but it could still be managed nonetheless.  "Ok, I can work with that.  I am sorry for your loss but for now I need you to tell me about your captors.  Where have they gone and how long have they been gone?"