17

We remove David's bindings, except for the gag once again, and Baldwin carries him down the steps. His mom is awake. We can hear her moving around in her room, but we make it safely to the front door without drawing her out. Baldwin opens the door, and David and I step out. He then calls out loudly to his mom.

"Mom, I'm leaving. I'm going to Kat's house."

"So early?" She calls back.

"Yeah, she, umm, had trouble sleeping, so I'm gonna go keep her company. "

"That's nice of you, dear. Love you, be safe."

"I will, Ma.

Baldwin joins us outside, and we begin walking to my house. He lent me a sweater, as David is still wearing mine, with the hood back up. He put one on himself as well, also with the hood up, covering his blue messy mop. The morning air is chilly, and I am grateful for the added layer, and it doesn't hurt that it just happens to be one of my favourite sweatshirts of his. Black, of course, with a cute green alien riding through space on a skeleton unicorn with a sparkly, rainbow coloured mane with the words 'My reality is just better than yours.' It's huge on me, but it kind of feels like he is hugging me, so I don't mind, and it was easier than trying to redress David.

I am holding David's hand since he needs to be dragged along or he won't follow, but it is extremely awkward to be walking in the middle of both of them while doing so. Baldwin keeps looking at our joined hands. I know he doesn't like it, but he knows I don't have a choice. Plus, he could always offer to take his hand if he would prefer that. I think about reaching out for Baldwins' hand, too, but I am not sure if that would just make it even more awkward.

We walk in silence at first. I am lost in my thoughts, which are bouncing back and forth quicker than a ping pong ball at the World Table Tennis Championship. From memories of Baldwins lips on mine to the regret of David's suffering, from daydreams of a future with Baldwin to the dread of facing my parents, from the peace that comes with my best friend and now boyfriend, can I call him that, knowing my secret and accepting me, to the fear of learning to control my powers. I guess Baldwin is lost in his own thoughts as well as he hasn't said anything either.

About halfway to my house David stops. I try to pull him harder, but he doesn't budge. A woman is approaching us, out walking her dog. The dog appears to be a little ball of golden fur. A pomeranian, perhaps. The dog begins to bark as they get closer. David is now growling loudly, his jaw flexes and bites trying to remove the gag. He hasn't thought to use his hands to remove it, I'm not sure if he is even capable of it. Do zombies have the capability of deductive reasoning or critical thinking? I don't even know if they remember who they were. Do they feel emotions? He looks angry, but is that just a manifestation of his body's hunger. Does the barking upset him in a physical sense? Is it too loud?

I'm lost in my thoughts as we stand there, and then, like, I am watching it happen in slow motion, I see David lunge for the dog. The dog squirms and yips in his hands. The owner darts forward, wrapping her arms protectively around her pet and throwing herself backward away from David just as David bites down. His gag has shifted and loosened and is hanging around his neck, doing nothing to prevent his teeth from grazing the flesh of the woman's forearm. The small taste of her blood has him revved up as he gnashes his teeth over and over to get a bigger bite, while she tries to deflect him while still keeping her pet safe. Baldwin grabs David's arms, forcing him to release the dog and pulls him away from the woman and her pet.

"What the hell? Oww. Fuck! What is wrong with him?"

"I'm so sorry." I mumble in shock.

"Is he on drugs? I should call the cops."