All Comes Down To This

"Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains," Admiral Bates explained. "Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-surface missiles backed up by fifth-generation fighters. Once your F-18 strike team crosses the border, Tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here. This will knock out their runway. But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those Tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming. Your time to target will be two minutes and 30 seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the Tomahawks may have missed."

"This is what you've all been training for," Admiral Simpson took over. "Come home safely."

Maddlyn listened to this speech, her heart sinking when it sounded way too familiar. Ever since Maverick announced who was going on the mission, she hasn't been able to stop thinking about the risks. She looked down at her hands, avoiding eye contact as the trainees went to get their planes ready.

Hondo walked over and knelt in front of her. He used his finger to gently lift her chin. "They're going to be okay."

"I can't do this, Uncle Hondo," she said, her voice breaking. "I can't lose them. Either one of them."

"They are going to make it home," he tried to reassure her. "Maverick will do everything he can to bring Rooster home."

"But who's going to look after him?"

Hondo leaned up and kissed her forehead. "Come with me to the Control Room," he whispered.

"They won't let me in there."

"They aren't going to turn you away, kiddo. I'll get you in there."

While Hondo and Maddlyn were talking, Rooster and Maverick were having their own conversation. Rooster was walking to his plane when he came face-to-face with Hangman. They stared at each other for a few minutes before Hangman spoke up.

"You give 'em hell!" He yelled over the sounds of the planes.

Rooster started to walk toward his plane but stopped when he saw Maverick.

"Sir," he said as he walked over to him. "I. . . I just want to say. . ."

Rooster was interrupted by a loud announcement over the intercom. Maverick smiled at him when it ended.

"We'll talk," Maverick said, "when we get back."

Rooster started to walk away, but Maverick stopped him. "Hey, Bradley! Bradley!" When Rooster turned around, Maverick briefly forgot what he was gonna say. "You got this."

Maverick watched as Rooster got into this plane.

"Maverick," Hondo said, making him turn him around.

"How's Maddlyn? Did you get her into the control room?"

"I did," he nodded. "You sure you want her in there?"

"I need her to be with someone to take care of her in case. . . She shouldn't be alone."

"She won't be." Hondo stopped when he saw the look on Maverick's face. He sighed. "I don't like that look, Mav."

"It's the only one I got," Maverick shrugged. They shared a knowing look as Hondo patted him on the shoulder. "Thank you. If I don't see you again, Hondo, thank you."

"It's been an honor, Captain."

"Take care of my daughter."

"You know I will."