𝐎𝐎𝟏. Don't Screw Barty Crouch Jr!

September 1st 1977

September 1st 1977

Charlotte Chapman is eleven when she teaches herself German Sign Language, and begins to teach herself to speak German. Actually, those two go hand in hand. Does that matter? She supposes it doesn't. The important thing is who she did it for, because not one sane person on this earth teaches themselves two types of German at age eleven. She knows the language nearly fluent by the time she's sixteen, and for that her best friend Lukas Schmidt is immensely grateful.

Charlotte Chapman is thirteen when she tells Raina Wilson that crying over a boy as stupid as James Potter is useless, and that she deserves better. She doesn't understand the appeal of boys yet, and especially with James. He's never been anything but annoying and clingy. Raina doesn't understand why Charlotte tells James he needs to stop being so wanted, because it's making her friends sad. Raina has never had a friend like Charlotte before.

Charlotte Chapman is fourteen when she first experiences hate from the purebloods in the years above her. She wasn't doing anything offensive, at least not to her knowledge, and yet they all insulted her for being from a non-magic family. Mudblood, they call her. She doesn't know why she feels like her heart is being ripped in two, but Penelope Everheart does and curses all five Slytherins so they know not to mess with Charlotte. While she gains enemies through all of Slytherin, she finds a friend in Penelope. When those strange Gryffindors lead by James and Sirius Black find out, they come after Sirius' brother.

It's, of course, not every single day that you find out you're a witch and will be going to a boarding school to be taught magic. But those three events have changed Charlotte's course of life more than figuring out why her classmates in primary school had found her odd. She knows she fits in at Hogwarts. More than she's ever done at the Muggle schools her parents kept sending her to – therein lies her issue.

"How was summer, lovely ladies? And Lukas, of course." Sirius Black is thankfully a force they only need to deal with for one more year. He grins widely, stomps inside their train compartment, and settles for resting his head on Raina's shoulder. "I am now officially a free man in the eyes of the law! Seventeen being adult age, but having to remain with parents until eighteen? Done! I am now Effie's and Monty's!"

"What are you yapping about?" Penelope grumbles. Charlotte pities her, she's not a Sirius person by any means.

"Be happy for me, you cunt!"

"Very mature, Padfoot." Remus Lupin shakes his head as he enters too. Behind him is Peter Pettigrew, and Charlotte beams at the boys. "Hello everyone, hope you don't mind us."

"Hello Remus! Hi Peter!"

Sirius whines that he didn't get the same enthusiastic greeting from Penelope, and Charlotte snorts. There truly is no one quite as dramatic as Sirius. Okay, maybe James, but James is notably absent, so currently it's only Sirius being dramatic. She's come to love them. Even though she and her friends are a year younger than the notorious Marauders, she thinks of them as her boys. They're all a big bomb of love, a love only they understand.