Chapter 11: Meow

"See?! They took Saffron!" I shout at Ushi while I desperately try to get these devilish creatures away from my friend. "They're going to kill him with fluff!"

Ushi laughs. "They like Saf too, that's all!" She approaches the massive pile of slimes. "You all! Give Saffron some space, he can't breathe if you're on top of him!"

Saffron raises his right arm, making a thumbs up, as if to signal he's fine. I sigh.

"We gotta get out of this place. These things are driving me insane!" I look at the slimes jumping around, constantly moving.

"Do we have to...?" Saffron says, his head finally in a non-buried state.

"This place has got to be a trap meant to keep people in here!" I exclaim.

"But they're so cute!" Ushi grabs the slime she called Elio. "Look at Elio! He's so cute!"

"Ushi, these are monsters. Not animals." I crouch, looking at one of the slimes from up close. The slime seems to see this as an invitation and jumps into my arms.

"No, wait-" I barely have any time to say anything before a swarm of slimes jumps on top of me, covering me from head to toe.

"God damn it, Ushi!" I shout as my consciousness fades away.

...Not! I use the last bit of my strength to cast a spell.

"May the resilience of the gods become a blessing of defense! Protect!"

I start to crawl away from the pile of slimes, my body now able to withstand the pressure of the slimy devils. "You'll pay for this. Just you wait!" I mutter as I stand up. I swore I wouldn't use this spell near a forest, but this is an extreme case.

"FRAGOR CREPITUS! EXPLOSION-" I shout, pointing at the demonic creatures with both hands. A tingling sensation courses through my fingertips as the air around me starts to shimmer with heat. Heat gathers and swirls in the space between my hands, gradually forming a vibrant sphere. It grows larger and larger, fueled by my hatred of these filthy monsters, until it reaches the size of a watermelon. The fiery glow dances with an intensity that matches my feelings. Just as the sphere reaches its peak, however, it undergoes a whimsical transformation.

Like a serpent, it coils and swirls within itself, compressing into a compact, explosive golden magical ball. The once fiery sphere now takes on the appearance of a miniature firework, ready to burst with vibrant energy.

With a flick of my wrist, I launch the magic explosive at the unsuspecting pile of slime balls. The explosive projectile streaks through the air with a speed I can proudly say is superior to any arrow, leaving behind a trail of sparkles and smoke. It hurtles towards its target, seemingly unstoppable.

And then, with a sudden burst of light, the area becomes enveloped in a blinding white flash. It's as if the world momentarily disappears in a blaze of brilliance. The explosive detonates, releasing a cacophony of colorful rainbow sparks and crackling sound.

...Much to my surprise, however, the evil slime balls remain unaffected. They emerge from the dazzling display unscathed, their admittedly squishy forms bouncing with delight. They look at me with puzzled expressions, seemingly wondering what all the fuss was about. While I can feel the frustration boiling within me, a part of me wants to laugh at this pathetic, useless display of force.

My attack, despite its grandeur, has proven futile against these resilient creatures. In that moment, a mix of amusement and frustration fills the air. The absurdity of the situation becomes apparent, and a wave of laughter ripples through the scene before I can even realize it. Ushi can't help but join in, finding the humor in my failed attempt to vanquish the seemingly invincible slime balls.

I stop floating, laying down on the ground, exhausted. Explosion is my most powerful spell, and it takes a toll on my body. Not to the point of immobility, but it simply makes me tired for a few minutes. I sigh.

"Nyah. I give up. Feel free to adopt these little fucks."

Saffron gasps sarcastically. "Oh my goodness! Meow learned how to swear!"

"Ffffffffffff-" I hold myself back. "Screw you."

I take a few deep breaths, and then look at the ever-growing mass of slimes. At this point, their raw strength probably has enough force to overthrow a small government, and so, I smile and float towards the siblings. "If you can't beat them, join them."