Twisted Knots of Love

"Er... I'll pass." Celine gulps at Imane's shameless question. "Sorry..."

"Oh. Okay," Poki sighs.

As Celine slips on her shoes, Poki parts her lips to speak again but bites back her words.

"You ready?" Celine looks up.

"Mmhmm," Poki nods, keeping her lips firmly clamped together.

...

Celine starts the car and slowly drives out onto the road, settling in for the short drive.

Imane sits next to her, her posture rigid. The silence in the vehicle is broken only by the subtle clicks of Imane's nails against each other in her lap.

Celine glances over, identifying the source of the rhythmic sound.

"You ok?" she asks, returning her gaze to the road.

"Mmhmm," Imane mutters. The pressure on her chest tightens, and she squeezes her hands into fists, concealing them in her sweater pocket.

She closes her eyes, vainly attempting to ward away the shaky breath that was overtaking her lungs. She shivers with each exhale, and her face contorts in invisible agony.

Thoughts from every direction shatter her mind, and her labored breathing escalates into hyperventilation.

"Poki?" Celine whispers. "Are you sure you're ok?"

Imane turns to the window, discreetly wiping the tear that finally leaks from the corner of her eye. She blinks rapidly, forcing the rest back. Her knuckles turn white from the effort.

"...yes...no..."

She mutters inaudibly to herself, fearing what was coming.

Another tear emerges, but this time, she doesn't bother trying to stop it.

She barely notices Celine gasp as she finally catches a glimpse of her face. The intrusive thoughts filling her mind remain lingering far past their welcome, and just keeping herself together was becoming a Herculean task.

At least it feels that way until Celine's arms snake around her curled body and gently embrace her.

Imane gasps and looks up, finally realizing that the car was pulled over. Celine tilts her head up and looks closely at her, gazing into her glistening eyes.

"Is it happening again?" Celine quietly whispers, terrified, but putting on a brave face.

Imane nods, unable to meet her intense, caring eyes.

Celine finally pulls away, checking the road ahead.

"We're almost home. Do you want to stay in my room tonight?" she calmly asks.

Still staring into space, Imane nods.

"Hold on for just a little bit longer, okay? Then we'll get you nice and cozy in my room," Celine soothingly promises.

Imane remains deathly quiet.

...

"Lie down. I'll get you a glass of water." Celine watches Imane closely as she crawls onto the bed, still looking dazed.

Imane slowly lays herself flat, her face devoid of any emotion, but her stress evident from her fast, shallow breaths.

Celine pulls the blanket over Imane and runs her fingers through the brunette's long, curled hair.

The wrinkles in Imane's forehead relax into their usual smoothness as she feels Celine's warm fingers gently pressing against her scalp and trailing down her locks. She focuses on the feeling, centering it in her mind.