I am Bedivere

"Vivian, don't be like this! I'm your mother!" 

A woman sobbed pitifully in front of me, and sister clutched my hand tightly.

"Ha! Scram, you crazy woman! You abandoned me when I was born! You don't deserve to be my mother!" 

Sister's sharp nails dug into my palms, but I still held her hand, wanting to provide some support. "

No! Vivian, I was forced to! There wasn't any money to raise you. You would have starved to death!"

"So you threw me in the river? If brother didn't see me, I would have drowned!"

"No...no..." The woman's voice trailed off.

"You just came to find me because you need money, right?" My little sister was a genius. She somehow managed to find a money-making job at the age of 13 and made enough income to provide for our family. Everyone in the village heard about it. I guess that's why sister's birth mother came to find us. 

"No way! I'm not a saint. My brothers and grandparents were the ones who raised me up even though I was abandoned. I hate you, so please leave!"

"But Vivian! You're my daughter! I love you!"

"Save that for someone who cares." Sister held my hand and walked away. Although she didn't say it, I knew she was sad.

"Hey, little sis. Don't be sad. You know I'll support you."

"You're joking, right? Stupid brother, you're blind as a bat and stutters in front of strangers." 

"Ouch! My heart! Who're you calling a bat?"

"You."

"...Well, if I am, you'll be the bat's sister."

"I don't see why that's a problem." Although she said that emotionlessly, she still twisted the flesh on my arm.

"Ouch! Stop pinching! My skin is going to fall off!"

"No!"

I woke up in total darkness, feeling nauseated and weak to the core. Where am I? The last thing I saw was my parents, so they should've brought me home. But, I don't recall our home having a room without windows. "Mother? Father?" Was I kidnapped? But who would be crazy enough to kidnap the heir of the Bedivere family? And how did they get past my family? No, now's not the time to think about this. I tried to calm down and listen to my surroundings. 

Quiet...quiet...sniffle...quie...wait, did I hear someone sniffle?

"Who's there?" I called out. Using the bed as a support, I tried to get up, but was immediately stopped.

"No! Don't get up Augie!" Instinctively, I laid back down again. And then, I realized who it was.

"Mom? You were here all along?"

"Y-yes..." Her voice shook as she pretended to be cheerful.

 "Mom, what's wrong? Are you okay? Why is it so dark in here?" My voice became hurried as I began to feel anxiety rising. Did we get kidnapped after all?

"N-nothing's wrong, I'm f-fine...Augustus!" Mother stopped trying to comfort me and cried out. I could feel her body embrace mine, and her hand rubbing my hair in circular motions. 

"I-I'm so sorry! I was a bad mother...I promised your mother to protect you..."

 "Mom? What are you talking about? I'm fine!" I exclaimed, reaching out to hug her. "Is this about the ritual? Did the knights discover it? I know what I did was illegal, but I'm sure they won't kill our entire family for it! Don't cry..." I patted her back gently until she finally got herself back together and answered my worries.