worries, go away - gunwook

thank you for the request shaswndrlndd
‎‏‏‎ ‎

gunwook-centric, fluff at the end, gunwook thinks a lot, he is a babie

Gunwook want's affection, but he assumes that everyone finds him independent and scary.

‎words : 4108

———————————

All throughout Boys Planet Gunwook had always been treated as one of the older, tougher guys, despite his age. And he understood why, as he did look quite a bit older than he was. But he couldn’t help but feel a little bit sad at the thought that he might never get the maknae treatment that his mind so eagerly yearned for .

He wasn’t exactly sure what he should have expected when the group was announced at the Boys Planet finals. He wasn’t the youngest, and without a doubt Yujin fit the typical maknae vibe much better than him anyway. He had never given a thought to the idea of being one of the youngest in the group, as with the other Jellyfish trainees he was the second oldest, only Yuseop above him. And honestly, another part of the reason was because he hadn’t really imagined making it to the debut lineup before. Or his mind had just been occupied with all the stress.

Back in Wild Idol he had been one of the youngest, and he also got treated as one. He wouldn’t admit it out loud, but he really enjoyed the affection he was getting back then. It helped him balance the hardships that came with a survival program with the warm feeling he got whenever someone cooed at him or found him cute, or even just cared for him in a way of asking how his day had been.

It’s been months since Boys Planet ended and Gunwook had been right about his speculations. He wasn’t originally too close to any of the lineup, but these months have given him perfectly enough time to get to know them. Everyone had a unique personality, some more childish than others. He was a little surprised to find out that Jiwoong was as child-like as he was. He had first believed that the oldest would be upright and serious, but his assumption was quickly proved false by Jiwoong’s cutesy acts.

Yujin had that perfect maknae vibe to him, and Gunwook was jealous of the way he was treated. Everyone kept constantly cooing and adoring the youngest boy, never leaving him alone. Everyone took care of him like a younger sibling.

In the beginning of their career as Zerobaseone, Gunwook could still feel the awkwardness some of the members felt with him. He knew that back in Boys Planet he was though of as the scary and strong trainee with a determination to die for. And that is what he was, minus the scary part. He was determined to win, he was strong, but he for sure wasn’t scary.

Gunwook was anything but scary, his Jellyfish friends knew that. Zb1 didn’t know that, Boys Planet didn’t know that. He remembers the way people looked at him with admiration in their eyes, yet it wasn’t the kind of admiration he yearned for. It was the kind where they wished to be like him, not the one where they found him a cute younger brother. Not that he didn’t like the attention he received, just the idea of being deemed as scary was what kept him up at night. But no one really knew that expect Gunwook himself. He always blamed his lack of sleep on the tight schedule rather than what the reason truly was.

Right now he was in the practice room at the WakeOne building, sitting on the floor with a pout on his lips. Jiwoong and Matthew were off to the side of the room, having a conversation with laughs in between, and Gunwook was looking at them through the mirrored walls. Gunwook saw everything, when a sparkle lit up in Jiwoong’s eyes when Matthew laughed. He saw how Jiwoong lifted his hand to pinch Matthew’s cheek despite the latter’s refusal. It felt like his heart was being clenched inside his chest. As if someone put a hand around it and tried to burst it open. Oh, how much he yearned for that kind of affection.