Chapter 4

Frankfurt Airport

Hans Becker looked at his Supervisor in shock. "I am supposed to do WHAT?" The Supervisor just shrugged his shoulders. "I don't like this no better than you. But it's an order." Hans shook his head. "This is a criminal order coming from a no-named stranger with a funny uniform. I'm not obeying it. Nor are my co-workers." The Supervisor, Frank Schumacher, looked at the whole shift, who stood in front of him, a picture of fierce defiance.

A broad figure standing behind him coughed silently and Frank turned around. "What else?" he snarled. The uniformed man looked at the men and women, visibly amused. "So I'll take it that you are not tough enough to do your job?" he mocked them. Hans straightened his back and looked at the man with a deep felt disgust. 

"We are Controllers. Our job is to regulate the traffic safely. Keyword "safely". It is NOT our job to kill people who are just happen on the wrong plane. We are awaiting around 50 planes coming from the United States in the next hours. And your order is to let them all crash somewhere? In the middle of the most dense populated area in Germany?" He asked incredulously, looking at a man who obviously thought that his uniform made him god - he could decide between life and death. He didn't even bother to say his name, before he barked out his "orders". When it comes to Hans, this could be one of the right wing Neo-Nazis popping up like stinky daisies the last few days.

"You have your orders. Go to work and let those damn planes crash." he hissed. But neither Frank nor Hans backed down. "We are not following orders by a stranger with no rank, no merit and clearly no honor. Our duty is clear and it is NOT in letting these planes crash." Frank was adamant.

The man narrowed his eyes and took his gun. He grinned thinly. "If I kill the whole shift, the other workers in the control room those planes will crash for sure." He didn't barely finish his sentence when a big hand grabbed his wrist from behind and wrestled the gun out of his hand.

Another big hand landed heavily at his shoulder and he was turned around roughly. Xaver, the big security guard from Bavaria, nodded to the crew. "Did you hear the news? Europe closed his borders for all American citizens. The embassies are getting evacuated. The military camps are under siege." Hans swallowed. His gaze met briefly Franks.

"Come on, bring the planes down. They can get fuel and then sent back with their passengers. That's our job. And double check if the ILS is altered in any way. Lead them down safely" Xaver led the uniformed man who was oddly silent out of the office, firmly grabbed his neck, and the shift got to work in a hurry.

They had planes to land.

****

A few days later the damage was visible for anyone. Not all control towers were as staunch in their jobs as the Frankfurt Airport crew has been. Europe was again covered in blood of innocent people. After all the man in the Frankfurt Control tower was correct: He indeed was from Frontex and he had the authority to carry out orders. The only reason why the whole shift didn't get razed by the justice system was that there were proof that this guy was acting like a powerhungry idiot and they were rightfully declining his threats. 

But all in all there were tens of thousands of dead people, hundreds of planes crashed, the pilots not knowing that their signals were tampered with and misled by the tower who was supposed to ensure their safety.

The world was shocked about the absolute merciless approach the European Union, built on values much differently than that, had taken, and how fast they could abduct their closest ally.

Worldwide plane after plane got rejected and sent back to the United States, but no other country downed them like the EU did. The US government was legitimately unable to sent their citizens abroad legally. No country carried out Visas, no plane was allowed to land and deplane their passengers. 

It was only a matter of time until the government would take on different measures.

****

It was a long flight on the back of a dragon. Bill Chaplain felt he was getting too old for long rides on a...oh whatever. Although the dragonback was somewhat comfortable, it was an odd feeling to fly free without safety belts and a parachute. And his back started to ache.

He could hear a rumble beneath him. "You humans. Always with the safety. You are so concerned about imaginary dangers who can shorten your lifes. Tell me human, when are you starting to live?" he heard the dragon say in his mind. Bill Chaplain wanted to answer but found out he couldn't. The dragon was partly correct. The safety in his life took many decisions away. The silent rebellion he was starting right now was the first thing someone could consider as "dangerous".

Bill finally decided that he would cross this bridge when had to. Another question was getting urgent. "Where are you taking me?" he asked the big dragon. His contact person just told him, that he got a ride when he needed it and where he could find it. He never dreamed that it was literally a ride. "You'll see soon enough" was the somber reply. Both fell in silence again.

Finally the General could feel that the dragon was descending. It was deep in the night and he couldn't see anything. For all he knew the big creature could just drop him off into a volcano. He felt the dragon chuckle. "If my intention really was to kill you: Don't you think I just needed a good sit?" Bill couldn't help but smile. "What's your name?" he asked his "ride". "Sorry, no names until you understand everything." answered the dragon.. "I can't answer any questions. I'm just a ride. And here we are." With those words the dragon landed hard and Bill could feel his teeth rattling. A sharp pain shot through his spine, and he just sat at his place, waiting for the pain to subside. "Ouch". "Sorry. I misjudged the height. I just hatched only a few decades ago and I'm still a youngster." the dragon apologized. "It's nothing. Just an old injury who is bothering me from time to time" Bill reassured the young dragon and stopped short. "Hold on a second. You are a hatchling? How big...?"

"You don't want to know." the beast chuckled but sobered up quickly. "Your committee is here. They were waiting for you." Slowly Bill climbed down the big shoulder and finally reached the floor. The General looked around, taking in his surroundings. It seems like it was kind of a military camp, but a very strange one. It was a big clearing, surrounded by deep dark trees, for all he could see. Tents roamed the space, but not in order, every now and he could see different kind of tents. Big military tents who resembled more transportable homes and in between all kinds of camping tents or even just a mat on a rope, giving some questionable shelter. Every now and then a little flash glittered between the tents or a strange figure strolled around.

A group of three approached him, two women and a man and Bill knew immediately that they weren't human. The man was almost 8.1 ft. tall, he had to crane his neck. A mat of dark brown hair covered his head, the shoulders were broad and the gentle eyes were dark brown. Light brown skin covered his body. Bill immediately trusted him, he didn't even know why.

His gaze wandered to the smaller of the women. She was a huge contrast to the giant walking beside her. Around 4.9 and in his world they would call her obese, but she pulled it off beautifully. She had bright red hair with blonde and black streaks, floating in soft waves over her shoulders and back. Her eyes were a bright green. The whole personality was sunny, bright and like a warm sunbeam in late spring.

The last person was a warrior. Bill had no other word for it. A body like a swordblade, thin but oh so strong. He had the feeling that she could snap his neck easily with one hand. Her whiteblonde hair was short and spikey. The most outstanding thing were her eyes: A deep glowing red, her stance the stance of a hunter. She was beautiful, but where the red haired woman was warm and bright she was like an upcoming thunderstorm.

Bill could easily now name the races: Vampire, Shifter and a fire witch. He assumed that the tall man was a bear shifter. The red haired woman smiled softly. "You are very good. Not many humans can see us as what we are." Bill just nodded, when the witch continued: "My name is Rebecca, this dwarf beside me is the head of the local bear pack, Yannik and my scary friend is indeed a vampire. Any yes, a warrior. Her name is Vin." Rebecca smiled and took Bills hand. "Come with me my friend. We have a lot to talk about."

Bill followed suit. Yes, indeed. A lot of things.

Starting with "why the hell am I here?"