5

"You alright?" Johnny asked, as I entered the spare bedroom.

"Yeah, why?" I quickly responded.

"You seem...flustered." Johnny responded.

I knew my face was bright pink, my skin was warm to the touch.

My whole body felt hot.

"Yeah, just warm. It's hot out." I nervously spoke.

I shut the light off, and crawled into bed next to him.

Johnny fell asleep almost instantly.

I had laid awake for another couple hours, just staring at the ceiling in the darkness.

Trying to wrap my head around why just happened, and why it happened.

I don't know what made me feel more guilty, kissing Dallas or not telling Johnny.

I told Johnny everything, but I don't know if I could tell him this.

The years and years of Johnny hearing Dallas and I argue and bicker, just for me to tell him we kissed...

And for a reason I didn't even know?

I honestly don't know if Johnny would cry or yell at me if I did tell him.

Man, I can't believe my first kiss was Dallas Winston.

The kid who I've never gotten along with for a single day since I met him.

...

That next morning, as Johnny, the Curtis Brothers and I ate breakfast, the only thing I could think about was Dallas.

And the way Dallas kissed me.

"You're quiet today." Darry said to me.

I looked up at him, then back at my plate I emptied.

"Just trying to wake up still." I shrugged.

I stood up, and took my plate to the sink, before filling it with hot soapy water to do the breakfast dishes.

I figured keeping my reply short and simple would keep Darry from worrying about me.

He had too much to worry about to begin with, let alone adding me to that list.

Besides, I didn't like anyone to worry about me anyway.

"You coming to church with us?" Soda added his plate to the sink.

"I think you already know the answer to that." I sighed.

He knew I always say no, but I think he just asks hoping I would change my mind.

"Why not?" Ponyboy pressed.

Before I could even reply back, Darry quickly spoke.

"Don't, Ponyboy. She knows she's always welcome to come. Now let's go." Darry spoke sternly, and the three of them gathered up the dishes.

They threw them in the sink, before they left.

I washed the breakfast dishes, and put them away.

As I continued to clean up the kitchen for a bit, the front door opened and slammed shut.

"Where's Darry?" A voice yelled from the living room.

"At church with Soda and Ponyboy." I yelled back.

"You gonna tell me what happened yet, sweetheart?"

Sweetheart?

My head snapped around to see Dallas Winston sitting in the counter top behind me.

"Don't sneak up on me like that! And don't call me sweetheart!" I scolded him.

"Don't try to act all innocent, when you've got 'fuck me' written all over your eyes." Dallas chuckled, as he hopped down from the counter and stepped closer to me.

"You're nauseating." I shot him a disgusted look.

He wasn't though.

Dallas knew it.

"Mhmm, I love it when you talk dirty to me." Dallas stood before me now.

He towered over me, as he looked down with a smile.

"Shut up, dick head." I spat at him.

Dallas could see right through my sorry excuse of trying to play tough.

Dallas placed his large hand behind my head.

He pulled me closer, and kissed me.

And I of course, kissed back.

God, he was so addicting.

The taste of him, and the feeling of his lips on mine.

Kissing Dallas was proof that I didn't need to go to church to get a taste of heaven.

"Fuck, why do you keep doing that?!" I broke away from him.

"You say that like you don't want me to. But, you keep kissing me back, doll." Dallas spoke in between his heavy breathing, as he tried to catch his breath.

He was right.

I wanted to kiss him just as much as he wanted to kiss me.

"But, why? Why all of a sudden?" I asked, folding my arms over my chest.

"Always wanted to. Just never got the chance, sweetheart." Dallas smiled.

In that moment, Dallas Winston's eyes were full of life and kindness, as they admired every inch of me.

"Ohhhh, so that's why you're such an asshole?! Got it." I replied sarcastically.

"Ehh," Dallas shrugged, "I just love seeing you get all worked up."

I rolled my eyes.

Just then, the Curtis Brothers and Johnny wandered back into the house.

Dallas took a few quick steps in the opposite direction of me.

I turned my attention back to wiping off the counter tops.

"Back so soon?" I questioned them.

"Yeah, Steve and Two-bit came. They messed around, knocked a hymn book on the floor." Ponyboy shook his head, obviously irritated.

"Loud thud, everyone staring, so we all got up and left." Soda finished Ponyboy's sentence.

Johnny stopped and looked at Dallas and I for a moment.

"You two alright?" He asked, confused.

"No, he's in my personal space." I scuffed.

"Then go somewhere else, broad." Dallas hollered.

"For how big your head is, you would think you would have a brain in there." I argued back at Dallas.

Dallas narrowed his eyes at me.

"And for being a girl, you would think you would have tits... but you don't." Dallas snapped back.

"If you two don't knock it off-" Darry began to yell at Dallas and I.

"I'm already on it." Johnny cut Darry off mid sentence, as he grabbed me by the back of the shirt, and dragged me into our room.