Chapter One

It was only until the eruption that I realized who I truly was.

It all started towards the end of the year. I struggled to keep up with the eighth-grade end-term exams, and with all my classes, projects, and tests, I barely had time to hang out with my friends. "Chillax," my friend Terry told me. "It's just eighth grade. It won't be the end of the world if you fail one subject."

But he didn't understand how serious it would have been if I hadn't passed them. He wasn't the son of two of the most successful businesspeople in the state. He didn't have an elder brother who always overshadowed him, who was always better than him. I was expected to keep up with my brother. Which was why every time I told Terry or the others, "I'm sorry, I can't join," I reassured myself that it was for the best. That later on, I'd thank myself for not attending their parties or trips to skateboard parks.

Every day after school, I'd park my backpack in the snug corner of my room and start studying. I used to study nonstop for hours, knowing that a small mistake would mean disappointing my parents. I didn't dare want to let them down.

Sure, that labeled me a nerd in my school, but I was also quite competent with sports, earning me a spot with the jocks, like Terry. I really tried to fit in, you see. Most of all, I never really used to brag about my parentage to anyone. I knew that the mere mention of my parents' names scared even the teachers at school.

As I was saying, the end of the year was really hectic. The one thing that was on my mind, however, was Bradford Preparatory Camp, which would start in a month. This wasn't like a regular summer camp. It prepped us kids for life in the real world. It was pretty expensive and would teach us about things like living in the upper class, and skills like advanced mathematics and archery. I was pretty excited to go there, as I'd heard so many stories about it from my brother, Leo. 

After a whole month of studying and stressing out, I was packing my bag with all the necessary equipment for the camp. I heard the shuffling of footsteps in my room and turned around to face the doorway. Leo was standing there with a smirk plastered on his face. He walked in, examined the disheveled state of my bedroom and shook his head. "You didn't forget to pack your toothbrush, did you?"

"Shoot," I muttered as I walked over to the bathroom, grabbing the toothbrush and tossing it in my bag. "Why can't you be a bit less critical about everything I do?"

Leo shrugged. "Hey, just looking out for my little bro. Did you get your sunscreen? It gets mighty boiling there."

"Right, sunscreen," I said, sighing in exasperation. Well, this was one thing I wouldn't miss this summer.

The door opened again, this time with my little sister Paisley. She was six years old, but she didn't act like it. "Wow, your room's a mess. I think the school cafeteria on Pizza Thursdays is cleaner than this."

I gave her a sarcastic smile. "And what brings you here, miss know-it-all?"

"Mom and Dad say hurry up, they don't want you to get late," Paisley replied. She opened my bedside drawer and took a lollipop that I'd been saving. "How'd you know-" I began in frustration.

"Because I get more time after school in the house to explore your room," she replied promptly. "Next time, can you save the strawberry flavor? Blueberry is so not my style."

I rolled my eyes and went back to hauling things in my bag. Leo ruffled my hair, just to annoy me, and said, "Keep a good reputation there for me. If you're not good at archery, I wouldn't want people to know you're my brother. And while you're at it, make sure to make good friends. Not fake ones. Fake friends get you nowhere in life."

"I know how friendship works, Leo," I said. Nonetheless, I knew he was right. I'd made enough fake friends to last a lifetime, and he knew it. He was just looking out for me, which was kind of strange. It wasn't every day your older brother gave you life advice. I wondered what was going on in his head.

"Justin! The driver's here!" I heard my mother's voice call out. I grabbed my bag, which was now fully packed, and the three of us headed downstairs to the entrance of the doorway.

Mom adjusted the crinkles on my shirt and gave me a broad smile. "You'll do great over there. I know it."

I smiled and hugged her. "Thanks, Mom."

Paisley gave me a quick hug. "The house won't be the same without you constantly complaining."

Leo gave me a fist bump. "Remember what I said, about making friends. I know you're not quite the best at that."

I looked at the two of them. They were being unusually nice. Probably because none of us were used to being separated for this long. As a middle kid, I never really got this much attention. "Thanks, guys."

I said a quick goodbye to my mother, hauled up the bag to my shoulder, and headed out the door into the car, where our driver would give me a ride to camp.