Prologue

It was a crisp, foggy evening on the rooftop of a rather tall building, rising above the rest of the city. One that stood out from all others, unmistakably different from the rest. He didn't recognize the place. Infact, he was positive that never in his life before had he been, or even seen this specific place. There was no way he could have forgotten about somewhere that sticks so far out from the rest, right? Yet, for whatever reason, he felt an off-setting sense of familiarity, as if he'd been there over a thousand times before. Through the fog, he noticed two people stood at the edge of the rooftop, one taller, one shorter. The words passed between the two seemed to be of a serious conversation, No, Emotional-? He couldn't quite place his finger on it as the blur of the two oddly familiar voices dispersed into the Autumn night's wind. The beautiful stars glistened from behind. There was a foot step. The shimmering sparkles, scattered across the midnight sky. And then another. The full moon glowed from behind the enclosing mist. Then a third. The whisper of a final goodbye echoed as one of the two faded into the distant city scene below. The final footstep.

    BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

    The boy drowsily rose from his covers to the sound of his alarm clock disrupting his sleep. He rushed to turn the wretched object off before checking the time.

    Shit! I'm gonna be late!