Chapter Thirty-Five

Looking at the other contestants didn't make me feel too anxious. Watching them play on the other hand? Yeah, that was a lot more nerve-wracking. Somehow I'd forgotten I was going against each states' top pianist. And their skills definitely showed in their pieces. There was no way I could compare to them. With each contestant, I sank lower and lower in my seat. Why had I got so cocky? I was going to look like such an ass what I came in last place.

Then the girl who said Paul was handsome played and I snapped back up. Why was I sulking? I couldn't sulk. I couldn't give up until I played. Paul was the prize here. I had to give it my best. For him and for myself. And for Elliot.

When they finally called my name, I felt like a robot. I stiffly rose from my seat and made my way up to the stage. When I came to a stop in front of the judges, I froze like a deer in headlights. They looked so intimidating. Stern faces, glasses on the bridge of the nose. Suit and tie. That type of intimidating.

"H-hi," I started, then cleared my throat. I had to be more confident. "I'm Allie Heywood and I will be performing Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 by Franz Liszt."

"Miss Heywood, you are the one who recomposed Canon in C?" one of the judges questioned, peering at me behind the frames of his glasses.

"Yes, I did."

"Will you be recomposing for us today?" he asked, sounding pleased.

He actually wanted me to recompose for him? Did he like it that much? Did I leave such an impression? Maybe I really did have a chance at winning this. "Um, only a little so that it fits in the four minute time slot," I said with a laugh.

"Maybe in the future we will see you recompose more," he replied with a smile. "Please proceed."

        With my heart in my throat, I sat down at the piano. Don't mess up, don't mess up, I chanted in my head. My hands were already sweating. I had to calm down. I turned back to the audience, my eyes searching frantically. Was Paul here? Was he able to make it? My parents waved at me. Jeremy waved at me. Then I saw Paul's parents. But no Paul.

        I took a deep breath. It would be fine. Paul didn't have to be here. I could do this on my own. I just needed to calm down and my hands needed to stop shaking. I could do it...

        Just as I was about to start, I heard someone hiss quietly from the other side of the stage. I whipped my head around and saw Paul, who gave a me a little wave from behind the curtain. There was a rush of instant relief when my eyes laid eyes on him. He waved his cast-encrusted arm. "Good luck!" he mouthed. Then he mouthed the word sea. I nodded, understanding immediately.

        A judge cleared his throat and I felt myself blush. I needed to begin. I touched the keys and felt exhilaration run through me. They were smooth and cool, even after so many people playing them. I closed my eyes for a moment, remembering the piano by the sea. Remembering Paul playing it and then standing beside me. It as just me and him, going through the piece.

        I began playing.

        The room was deathly silent. I played each note with as much emotion as I could muster. I wondered if this was how Liszt felt when he played in front of an audience. Right now though, my audience was the sea, and the man I loved. I wasn't playing for anyone but us.

        Then as quickly as it started, it was over. I hit the last note and I opened my eyes, not realizing they had been shut the entire time. I hadn't even looked at the sheet music once! I felt a little sense of panic within me. Had the judges noticed? Did I play it correctly? I was ninety-nine percent sure I knew it by heart, but one off note could keep me from the top. My eyes darted to the judges table, where one of them had leaned over to whisper something in the other's ear.