Chapter 7 - Welcome to Fell Falls

'They found me. I have no idea how. I buried the bandages. Haven't bled in days, but somehow they picked up my scent. Must have moles. Got an arrow through my side but I can still run. Need to find water ...' [the rest of this page is smothered in blood]

7th May, 1867

It was very quickly apparent to Merion that his aunt's definition of 'options' differed quite a lot from his. His sleeping options, as they currently stood, were: a cupboard on the uneven landing; a corner of the study where his aunt apparently used to sit and paint; the notorious basement; or a small square room a smidgeon larger than his cabin on the Tamarassie. He chose the latter.

'I've arranged for your luggage to be delivered in the morning,' his aunt was saying, her voice penetrating Merion's daze of dissatisfaction. She put her hands on her hips, and watched Merion lower his rucksack to the floor. His eyes roved over the rickety old bed that took up most of the small room.

'I'll get some cutters and nip off that popped spring in the morning. In the meantime, don't impale yourself,' she said, with a hint of a smile. 'I'm joking.'

Eyeing the dust on the headboard and the windowsill behind it, he knew it was a dumb question, but he asked it anyway. 'Do you have any servants?'

Lilain nodded. 'Fourteen of them.'

Merion's head had already snapped around before he realised she was joking. Yet again. He sighed. 'Why are you not angry with me?'

Lilain threw him a confused look. 'Should I be?'

'I shouted at you.'

Lilain threw her hands up in the air. 'And you had a right to. I make too many jokes. I know that. Should have known you'd want to blow off some steam. Spend enough time on the rail, you start to think you're a locomotive,' she told him. 'Now, we good here?' Lilain thumbed at the door.

Merion was still churning over his aunt's answer. 'But children are not to shout at grown-ups,' he replied, automatically reciting one of his father's many lessons.

Lilain stepped forwards and laid a hand on his shoulder. 'Nephew, you're in Fell Falls, Wyoming. All children are grown-ups here, the moment they set foot on that dusty platform. You'll see. If you stay, that is.'

Merion sniffed. 'I'm sorry to disappoint you.'

Lilain eyed the rucksack with her grey eyes. 'We'll talk about that in the morning. I have to ... you know.' His aunt jabbed another thumb at the door. She was so unlike his father, Merion thought. How could this animated, chatty undertaker be a Hark?

'Carve up a dead body,' he said flatly.

Lilain shrugged. 'There's also a dog, but that's a favour for a friend. It can wait 'til morning,' she replied, and then added, 'Right, off to work. Sleep well, Merion. It truly is a pleasure to have you here.' Lilain paused for a moment, her hand resting on the doorframe. She fixed him with a stare. Had it not been for her smile, Merion would have found it rather intimidating. 'I have so much to tell you,' she said.

Merion just bowed, and said goodnight.

Only after his aunt had shut the door, and he had heard her footsteps on the basement steps, did he unfasten the flap of the rucksack. Rhin stood on a folded jumper, tapping his foot and grinning. 'I like her,' he said.

'You would. She's an exile. Just like you.'

'Hey,' Rhin glared. 'I was thinking more along the lines of a free spirit. You should listen to her, Merion. Give her a chance, at least for a little while.'