Chapter 10 - Music & Therapy

Musical Suggestion: Like I Want You by Giveon

Saturday came and I was wide awake to take on the day. I didn't expect to be up at the break of dawn considering I had a late night last night at the jazz club. I had a great time. As they were closing for the night, John and I talked about me living in Seoul.

He informed me that he moved to Seoul about 5 years ago from Memphis, Tennessee. He was born and raised in America but he wanted to know more about his heritage and learn about where his parents came from so he moved to Seoul.

His father introduced him to music therefore he thought it would be great to open a jazz bar, as jazz was his father's favorite music. We spoke about places in the vicinity that I might like to visit. He also told me about a park that was close to my place that he would go and find a quiet spot and practiced his music. He played multiple instruments including the piano, saxophone, guitar and cello.

I played the cello when I was little, but I transitioned to the violin. Mainly due to it being easier to carry. I had brought my violin with me in the hopes that I might play it, but I hadn't touched it since I had moved here. I was so focused on getting the business up and running, I totally forgot about it until the night out with Young Joon.

I pulled the case from the back of the closet. Just looking at it brought back memories that I loved and missed. I opened the case and looked at my old violin that still looked immaculate due to me keeping it buried away. I ran my fingers across the strings and heard them hum softly in tune.

The violin was a type of therapy for me as it allowed me to escape the day to day issues of life. It helped me especially when my life seemed out of control, which hasn't happened in a long time, but it has helped me focus when I got caught up in the drama of being in a relationship with the wrong guy.

I jumped in the shower and dressed in a very casual outfit which consisted of a blue two-toned seamless long-sleeve crop top with a pair of matching leggings. I pulled my hair up into a neat ponytail, topped with a basic blue baseball cap with my ponytail hanging through the back of the cap and a nice pair of white Air Force Ones. I grabbed my violin, keys and phone and walked out the door.

The weather was nice and quiet as it had rained a bit earlier. I caught the bus for a quick 13 min ride and a 6 minute walk over to Dogok Park. This park was huge and offered so many things.

There is an athletic park inside where I could get a good workout if I was looking to do so.

I love that this country focuses on being healthy, staying active and good well being. There was also a badminton court, a mineral spring and a place called Maebongsan Mountain peak where I can only assume a person could look out over the city, but I never went.

As I walked deeper into the park, I came across Maebongsan Trail and it was absolutely breathtaking. I loved being around nature and this place took me far away from reality as it seemed as if I had walked into a magical forest as I ventured through the park. I walked until I found a very serene place which resembled a circular pergola. There weren't too many people on the trail so I decided to set up there.

I pulled out my violin and took a spot in the middle of the pergola to get the best acoustics if possible.

I grazed the bow over the strings and she hummed so eloquently. She was my friend who took care of me when I was going through so much. Closing my eyes and feeling the music made me feel secure. I was transported back to 15 years old, standing on a stage at a music festival.

There were so many kids from everywhere and we were so lucky to be in Seoul and experience that amazing opportunity. I remember not being afraid on the stage as the music comforted me like a thick blanket, protecting me. I would close my eyes and get lost in the music. I loved playing so much, I would memorize the sheet music so I could not pay attention to it like the other kids. I would get lost as if I was floating high above everyone and it didn't matter how many people were watching, it was only me and my violin.