First Day of School

I am sprung awake by the sound of feet running around our small house

I am sprung awake by the sound of feet running around our small house. Annoyed at the noise waking me up, I looked over at my alarm clock that flashed 7:00 AM. I let out a frustrated groan and rolled my eyes realizing I was already late for the first day back at school. I put a pillow over my head attempting to block out the noise before I rolled back over and drifted back to sleep. That was short-lived as my oldest brother Darry busted in the door not happy to see me still in bed.

"What'r you doin'? Ya gonna be late on the first day, that will not look good for us" He says shaking his head clearly irritated.

I whined still not making any effort to move or get ready only fueling his anger.

"I mean it, Baylee. I do not have time to deal with your attitude today, you better be ready to go in 10 minutes or you will be left here. he warned, walking out of my room while picking up dirty laundry to throw in the wash.

I sat up thinking to myself a million responses I wanted to say but decided to bite my tongue because I knew I would only get in trouble for talking back and who wants to be grounded before noon?

I didn't mind if I was left, school wasn't my thing, However with the state breathing down our necks Darry has to look like the perfect guardian or they will split up my other two brothers and me into different foster homes.

My second oldest brother Sodapop had dropped out of high school to work full time and help with bills and that was already a red flag to the state but they let it slide as long as my youngest older brother Ponyboy and I stay in school, mind our manners and act like perfect children. That was easy for the golden child but not me... I have been told I tend to test the boundaries and wherever I go for whatever reason so does trouble.

I don't know why Darry seemed so mad at me when I opened my bedroom door to head to the bathroom and finish getting ready everyone in the house seemed to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I am clearly not the only one running late this morning. I turned on the water and started brushing my teeth when I heard a "Yeow" from the shower.

"Ahh HOT HoT Jeez Bay ya gonna scold me" Soda said hopping out of the shower and wrapping a towel around his lower half.

"Sorry," I gabbled almost incoherently with a mouth full of toothpaste.

We have one bathroom in this tiny ass house so privacy was never an option. He started mumbling something about how I was late. It must be gang up on Baylee Day. I grab a breakfast bar and meet Pony, Johnny, and Two-Bit on the porch impatiently waiting for me as we head off to school. We have to travel in packs because in our small parts of Tulsa Oklahoma our town is divided into two parts the West-Side rich kids, Who drive nice cars, have nice clothes, and more money than they know what to do with, also known as the Soc's and then there is us the East side Greasers who have hand me downs, greased back hair and no money...the poor side.