chapter 2 - the engagement

"hello?" paul's voice rings through joe's ears over the phone.

"hi paul," joe says sadly, but growing happier at the sound of the love of his life's voice.

"joe?" paul asks. "is that you?"

"yes, it's me babe," joe answers. "i did it. i broke things off with taylor."

"oh my god, really? i was waiting for you ever since i broke up with phoebe for you four months ago.. i can't believe it took you four months to work up the courage to dump her though," paul replied, looking like a human frowny face emoji at the reminder that he was seeing a cheating man for four fucking months.

"i'm sorry baby i just wanted to wait for her to start her tour," joe explains. "anyway can you pick me up? i would drive to your place myself but i had to give taylor back my car and i don't fancy taking public transport"

"of course love," paul says before hanging up.

a while later, paul whips around the corner to the street that joe is walking along. joe gets into the car and they drive off into the sunset to paul's house.

-

taylor pulls out her phone and dials the number of the only person she knows might understand: phoebe bridgers.

"hey dude," taylor says.

"whats up taylor" phoebe asks.

"joe just broke up with me because he's in love with a man," taylor explains. "i think the man might be your ex, paul... didn't you say the same thing happened to you a few months ago?"

"what the fuck" phoebe says. "that's messed up. and yes it did. paul wouldn't tell me who the man was though... do you think it was joe? would that mean joe was cheating on you for four months?"

"yeah but i guess its not that big a deal, i can just write a song about this now," taylor says.

phoebe starts to get another call. "hold up, im gonna call you back. i'm getting another call."

phoebe hangs up on taylor and answers the other call.

"hello?" she asks.

"phoebe," paul says over the phone.

"woah thats so crazy that you called me, i was just talking about you. did joe cheat on taylor with you?" she asks.

"...yes," paul says. "but i just wanted you to know that joe and i... we want to get married. and i know i broke up with you for him but i wanted to see if you would come to the wedding... you can bring julien and lucy"

"i'll think about it" phoebe says before hanging up and calling taylor back. "oh my god you will never guess what just happened," phoebe says to taylor over the phone

"what?" taylor asks.

"paul just called me to invite me to his and joe's wedding."

"oh my god"

"i know right? kinda messed up."

"were you allowed a plus one?" taylor asks.

"well, paul said i could bring julien and lucy but that's it"

"...what if i crashed it and you helped me" taylor suggests.

"that's evil and i love it"