Must Have Been

"So, tell me, little darling." The old woman asked with curious eyes, "How did your love story become a tragedy?"

The lady shrugged and crossed her legs, "It's been so long now." With a faraway look, she added. "It must have been something I said." 

"Ah." The older woman nodded in understanding. "Men doesn't like that though, you know? When we talk too much. They always whined about how we nag them to death."

She casted a glimpse towards the man they were talking about, looking sleek and born to rule the world in that three-piece suit, just two tables away from them. There was a time when she was his world. She knew, even if he denied it, she knew she had him for a time. She knew him all too well. Like how he is starting to get pissed at something his companion said by the way his eyebrow furrowed. And the way he is preparing a sly comeback by the way his lips curved into that smirk. 

Such familiarity with a stranger should be a sin, she thought as she sipped a glass of wine she hates then fakes a smile at the old woman. 

 _ _

"I know it's been a long time, son." The old bastard continued not noticing his irritation, or perhaps he was choosing to ignore it. "But I still don't get how it ended between you two. You guys were perfect for each other. "

He sighed, letting his irritation fade away. His uncle meant well. "Like you said, it's already a long time." He looked down at his whiskey then added. "It must have been something I didn't say." 

"Ah." The old geezer nodded in contemplation. "Women always want that, you know? To be assured with words as if our actions aren't enough."

He looked up only to finally got a glimpse of her sipping wine, looking radiant and tempting in that red dress that would have cause him bloody knuckles before the night end. His eyes squinted and realized she was drinking white wine and knew immediately she's faking it. A small smile tugged at his lips when she quickly grimaced and spit her wine after her companion turned around. His little pretender. There was a time when all her small subliminal quirks were only for his eyes to see. When she was all his. 

She raised her hand to the passing waiter then grabbed a flute of champagne from his tray. Yes, that's what she liked better, he thought, such memories with a stranger should be a sin. 

_ _ _