Chapter Two: Deadly Harmony

Aug 20th, 2022

*Becky POV*

I always wondered what went through his mind when he decided to go to the forest, maybe it was the sweet sound of the river or the harmony of the birds. Drawing him in closer and closer, like prey watching, waiting to catch its prey. It was most likely the sickening melody of the birds and the swaying of the trees, how foolish of him. Now he is missing, it is all my fault. I need to do something, but what can I do? Could I risk my life to save his, and bring us both home? My mind is a raging storm, before I even started deciding, I already had my shoes on and was heading out the door. I couldn't just let Quinn die knowing I could've stopped it, that would be stuck in my mind. A punishment that lasts forever in my mind, I need to save Quinn. Of course I must, I love him. The kind of love that lasts forever, but I wouldn't put myself to tell him, what if he denied my relationship requests? I would be too hurt, I must wait for him to tell me, but will that time ever happen? Not if he dies alone in the forest, this is my time. Maybe I should reconsider, haha can't do that, i'm already on the road already twenty miles away, no turning back now.

Aug 21st, 2022

Why am I even doing this? My nuckles  turn white on the stirring wheel, I start to freak out. I find myself at the bottom of the mountain. I was way too far to turn back now, I started to think back to two days ago, the police did nothing to try to find Quinn. It's not fair how they just gave up on him, and not evening bothering starting a search. I am so foolish for even trying to find him, if the police can't, I definitely can't. I tell myself they didn't even try to send anyone here, so I can do this. I can right? I find myself at an old gas station, this is totally not its golden years with the amount of dust that covers the outside. I find myself staring into the dusty window, an old woman sits at the counter; reading an old book also covered in dust. Maybe she has seen him? It is one of the only people I ever see here, so maybe she saw him. I push into the door, a bell jingles as I enter.

"Hello how can I help you," The elderly woman asks?

"I was wondering if you seen this man," I grab Quinn's picture and slides it to her.

"He's the odd fellow who came up the mountain," The woman tells me.

"He has been missing for a few days, have you seen him," I ask?

"I don't know where, I hear him. The screams of terror echo throughout the forest, everyone in the forest hears his cries," The woman smiled.

"What do you mean," I ask the woman?

"He's gone dear," She grins horrificly.

"He can't be!"

"Get out of my store," The elderly woman demands.

I find myself sitting in my car, I have no leads. That only means I will find him, I'll bring him home just if you wait. I can do that, right?

Aug 22nd, 2022

I stare into the fire, I doubt myself. I don't think I can do this anymore, everything is sore. The woman creeped me out, I think she knows something. What does she know? I can tell there is something odd about this forest, the songs of the birds, the wind of the swaying trees, and the calming smell is off. It doesn't smell like nature, that sentence sounds crazy in my mind. This forest is making me go crazy, I am losing my mind, I laugh at the thought. If I still laugh, I don't think I am crazy. Am I crazy, does asking this sound crazy? The thought leaves my mind, as I start to think about the real reason I am here, to save the person I love. I guess love can make you crazy. Rain starts to fall from the sky, the first rain I saw in a while. Everything goes silent, until I start to hear a scream. A scream that sounds familiar, a scream I haven't heard in years, it's Quinn's. He is alive.